** ABLETON USERS ** root key help please

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
anyone know how to change the root/signature key for an ableton track? been reading up on the subject and it may well add that further edge to my tunes if i can get them in minor rather than a major....

help really appreciated! :D :clown:

hey. the general key of the piece is typically something that is arrived at fairly early on in the writing process - sometimes a deliberate choice is made, other times the key emerges inadvertently via choice of samples, drum sounds etc.

the key of the piece is not generally something that one would change on a whim toward the end of the process and i've not seen any global-type facility on ableton live that would serve to turn a major piece into a minor. changing the root (tonic) note is something different, but i assume you wish to turn a major key into a minor one.

if that's your goal, then you'd most likely have to re-write various parts of the tune - basically changing all the major thirds to minor ones (relative to the key) - so if your key is C major, locate all E notes and change them to D sharps. bit of a crude solution - the ideal is to be aware of what key you're writing in whilst you're writing it - but that should get you on your way. peace.

this feature is not existing in ableton, a friend of mine uses cubase where he can change the key of a midi file, cool little feature. U can do this stuff with midi editors like finale notepad afaik.

furry muff... i thought i stumbled upon it but forgot where, guess not!

so basicly what you are saying is the way i make my tune defines the root key?

There's a midi effect called Scale built in to Live. It remaps notes to other notes. You could use this to change key, but you'd have to do it on every midi channel you have (before your synths). If you're using any audio clips you'll need to pitch shift those as well.

Basically, it's a big pain. Probably best to sort out your key early on in its development.

Back
Top Bottom