@ ableton users: impulse questions....

Discussion in 'Production' started by richie_stix, Apr 20, 2010.

1. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

hello peeps... seems i have this problem using impulse (most likely the problem is me). When i audition a kick or snare in the sample library it sounds phat and i'm like yeaaaaah, drop it into impulse and it doesn't quite sound the same?

the main thing letting me down on my tunes is the kick, mainly really hollow, it seems the kick samples seem to loose the 'phatness' between the library and impulse? I have tried dropping the kicks straight onto an audio channel and that sounds better, but is long when it comes to writting patterns?

anyone wana shed some light on the subject?

http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix

check my tunes to see what i mean about 'hollow', peanut butter and ferox are the worst for it?

:not_worth:

2. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

3. Indigo

Indigo Member

all i know is that the simpler drops the db down by 12 so open it up and put the db at 0 and maybe increase the release?

4. Krispy

Krispy Member

I know exactly what you are talking about but also don't know how to fix it.

I've noticed that just dropping sounds directly onto an audio channel does sound a bit fatter. I think it has to do with the attack, release, decay etc.. settings.. Also try messing with stuff like velocity...

I would be really interested to find out the answer to your question though, good one...

5. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

well, krispy it sounds like you know exactly what i'm talking about... i have found a fair bit of compression helps, but still feels like something is missing?

6. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

more than likely a volume variation, as indigo mentioned. louder makes the brain to think "phatter", its a common auditory illusion.

7. Krispy

Krispy Member

Ive heard that alot of other people prefer using drum rack over impulse simply because of this reason
    Also, with drum rack, you can individually control what effects are affecting which drum pad