Ableton question?!

ThePapa

Suffragette City..
VIP Junglist
I'm tempted to buy one of these but I have no idea what one does. Can anyone explain it to me in simple terms?

3534-ableton-live6.jpg

You link the dials on the midi interface, to dials in Ableton (Filter cutoff / LFO / volume / blah blah blah) And in session view of Ableton (The part you use for live play ) you can link the pads to your various tracks (Drums / bass / another bass / yet another bass / FX / Risers etc etc)

So when you are playing live you can proper jam it up, and create on the fly tracks etc

You link the dials on the midi interface, to dials in Ableton (Filter cutoff / LFO / volume / blah blah blah) And in session view of Ableton (The part you use for live play ) you can link the pads to your various tracks (Drums / bass / another bass / yet another bass / FX / Risers etc etc)

So when you are playing live you can proper jam it up, and create on the fly tracks etc

None of that means anything to me Fletch but I know people can dj with it. Do you know how that's done?

So, is it kind of like an improvisation tool? It looks pretty cool!

Not really, you still have to be creative withing Ableton 1st, and create your different elements of a track, but with this piece o kit you can bring in different bits whenever you want.

Ever been to a gig / rave / live set etc where the DJ is playing a track that you know well, but the drop comes in alot later than you remember? or there are various bits of the track you are hearing that arent in the original track you heard? This bit of kit is for things like that

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

None of that means anything to me Fletch but I know people can dj with it. Do you know how that's done?

I guess you can load up the tracks you want to mix, into ableton, assign them to different pads on the APC40 and go from there?

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

I guess you can load up the tracks you want to mix, into ableton, assign them to different pads on the APC40 and go from there?

you dont have to link anything to anything, its all automatic!

so look at it like this...

You have a big grid of buttons, they are mapped (automaticly) to clips/loops, say one vertical line is percussion, another is bass, etc etc, so u can mix and match loops however you want...think remixing on the fly

when you select say the percussion channel, the controls on the right map (automaticly) to whatever FX you have setup for that channel, so you can tweek the loops as you go along

they are the Bollox. I use the APC20 combined with Novation Remote Zero, pure awsomeness.

You can 'dj' with it aswell, but tbh thats a bit of a waste, unless you are using loops to be properly creative with the interface

look up Tom Cosm's APC40 video on utube for a great run down on what u can do with these

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

This thing all sounds a bit complex to me! :lol: Seems a cool concept though :)

simple as hell man! the only complicated bit is practising the set so you know what works n what doesnt, the longest bit is chopping up your tracks into clips n loops to play, the rest is childs play....skrillex for eg, wuld b lost without an APC

Oh, so one way of looking at it would be a kind of super advanced sampler? that does loops too! :lol: May have to check out that video miszt :) I am quite interested in having a gand at these!

Oh, so one way of looking at it would be a kind of super advanced sampler? that does loops too! :lol: May have to check out that video miszt :) I am quite interested in having a gand at these!

yep exactly, your computer is the sampler, APC40 the interface, more like a groovebox i guess

How's it possible to mix tunes though? How do you get them in time? With a 'puter?

yep requires a computer with Ableton Live installed

I wouldn't mind trying one of these things out!

No Live and No Money could cause a problem :lol: Talking of Grooveboxes/Groovemachines I really want a Maschine Mikro! Again, I need to buy an external hard drive and monitors before I invest in any hardware or software. I expect the next version of Maschine would be out by then! :lol:

I hate to say it, but if you dont have a clue what its for its probably a bit pointless buying it... however:

Basic:

Being used to good effect (tunes a banger):

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a dj at heart and I've seen people djing with it so...

Do you think someone with no experience of production could learn to use it?

I'm a dj at heart and I've seen people djing with it so...

Do you think someone with no experience of production could learn to use it?

Fair enough. Assume so, its not really a production thing.

On the topic of DJing can hook it up to traktor but dont know why youd want to really.

Back
Top Bottom