Ableton MIDI Question

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
Quick question fella's, is there a way to link more than one midi channel to a single VST?

Basically, When I use Edirol Orchestral, there are 16 channels within it, for different instruments, but only the sound that is selected in channel 1 comes out on the MIDI sequence. Which means if I want a few orchestral sounds at once I need multiple instances of Orchestral open, and its a CPU beast! There is the option to export each instrument as wav and then use the audio files, but if I'm honest, I'm lazy, cant be bothered to do that, and I feel I would have less control over the sounds that way.

I remember in FL Studio, in the top corner of a midi clip there was a digital counter, called a port number, I could assign those port numbers to the different channels within Edirol Orchestral, thus being capable of running 16 different MIDI channels all from the one VST, which was wonderful! I hope there is a way I can do something similar within Ableton? This is the 1st time since switching I have come across something that FL has the upper hand on!

Quick question fella's, is there a way to link more than one midi channel to a single VST?

Basically, When I use Edirol Orchestral, there are 16 channels within it, for different instruments, but only the sound that is selected in channel 1 comes out on the MIDI sequence. Which means if I want a few orchestral sounds at once I need multiple instances of Orchestral open, and its a CPU beast! There is the option to export each instrument as wav and then use the audio files, but if I'm honest, I'm lazy, cant be bothered to do that, and I feel I would have less control over the sounds that way.

I remember in FL Studio, in the top corner of a midi clip there was a digital counter, called a port number, I could assign those port numbers to the different channels within Edirol Orchestral, thus being capable of running 16 different MIDI channels all from the one VST, which was wonderful! I hope there is a way I can do something similar within Ableton? This is the 1st time since switching I have come across something that FL has the upper hand on!
Really simple, just set up your orchestral patch how you want it, then create new midi tracks for every instrument you want them to be assigned to.

To link the midi tracks to orchestral go down to their track output and select orchestral like so:
1-1.png

Then under that drop down list will be another one, and in it you can choose the orchestral channel to send the midi data to:
2.png

Works fine for me :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom