Ableton Live noob quesitons.

Discussion in 'Production' started by Robmobius, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Robmobius

Robmobius Member

Hi y'all,

Back for some more noob help. :) I've recently turned to Ableton Live, and I'm just so damn happy with it. All is proceeding slowly but I'm getting there...

Although, I'm at a loss on a couple of issues. So if anyone can help me that would be bitchin'.

1) I'm a bit unclear why my clips suddenly stop playing any sounds when I have everything set up in the arrangement view if I hit "stop clips" in the session view (to do a bit of tweaking etc). Then when i go back to the track I was writing there's no sound at all. I know it must be something really simple that turns off the clips, but for the life of me I can't find it. :(

2) The other question, as I've got a wee bit better at making the drum sound I want (that's to EQ). I'd like to now import the drum rack (processing and samples) into my older tune so they have better sounds. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Ta' very much.

Robert.

2. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

3. Robmobius

Robmobius Member

Jaysus.... Trust me to miss that. Cheers mate, I'll know if future. :)

4. dexter

dexter Member

well for some reason ill answer the second question first, if your old project is made in ableton live, then you can drag your new drum rack back into that project yes, using the folder view to the left, but if the old project is not made in ableton live, you'll have to settle with rendering the beat to audio, and using it as an audio sample in the old project.

the first question, its a bit weird how ableton works with the arrangement and session view at the same time, it mutes the arrangement or track you have armed while you play with the session view, theres a button, it goes red, its to the right of the play and stop buttons, its got some horizontal lines on it, sorry i cant be more specific this is off the top of my head, when you want to hear the arrangement, click it so its off.

i personally just use arrangement for this reason, its damn annoying using both at the same time, one or the other is my method

5. Robmobius

Robmobius Member

Dexter,

Sweet mate... Thanks for helping me out.

I've been pulling my hair out (what little I have of it) trying to figure out those niggling questions.

Cool, my drum tracks are done in Ableton. So that seems handy... :)

That session/arrangement situation is bizarre though. I knew it was something simple but I'd been poking around for fekin' ages.

Thanks again!

6. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

yeah, track view as i callit ftw ;)