Ableton Help

MLT

So i have 3 drum racks loaded with various samples. On each of the individual hits i have various effects eq, saturation, transient shaping etc. then on each of these drum racks on the outside of the rack and the individual sounds i have 'global effects' on each sound. For example i have my snares layered and eqed inside each drum rack cell, then at the end of the rack i have some tape saturation some more eq compressor etc which is acting on them all like a bus?

What i have now done is chop a break to midi and im wanting to route each hit of my midi break to these 'busses' in my other drum racks but i cant seem to find an answer to routing them there.

Is this even possible?

Any help from Ableton heads?

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, after watching that and a bit more google searching it seems i cant do what i would like it to do. Back to the old way of setting up lots of audio tracks to use as bus channels which i find very messy in Ableton. Never mind.

group them, then add the fx chain you want to effect them all on the group

I already have my kick midi track, snare midi track, percussion midi track grouped that im using as a min drum bus. For example in the snare midi track i have a drum rack loaded with 5 snares, each snare with eq on each sample within each pad of the drum rack. At the end of the drum rack i have some saturation, compression, more eq and transient shaping. Having this at the end (on the outside) of my drum rack acts as a snare bus effecting the 5 snares as a whole. I chopped a break, then sliced to midi which opens up as its own drum rack. I wanted to send the snare from my break to the processing strip/bus that my 5 snares are on, but i doesn't seem possible. Sort of how you can send a certain sample to a bus in logic from the esx24. My normal way is to have various audio tracks set to monitor audio in and bus that way which is fine and works, but my ocd start kicking in when i have to see my busses as channels on the arrange page. Even when i group all the bus channels together to consolidate them together it gets on my tits.

only way i think would be to bounce the snare from the break and create a new audio track which is grouped with your snare group

I can extract the slice of the break out into individual hits and drag them onto the snare drum rack, but if I was layering lots of breaks this would take longer than I want, and could end up getting very untidy with parts of breaks all over the place. Never mind guess something's are just not ment to be. After all this time I finally found something that annoys me about Ableton.

I can extract the slice of the break out into individual hits and drag them onto the snare drum rack, but if I was layering lots of breaks this would take longer than I want, and could end up getting very untidy with parts of breaks all over the place. Never mind guess something's are just not ment to be. After all this time I finally found something that annoys me about Ableton.

yes I think this is probably my ONE complaint about it as well

yes I think this is probably my ONE complaint about it as well
Yeah agreed, there are ways of doing thing regarding the routing of audio/midi, but in general Ableton handles this poorly compared to other DAW's. Cant have it all i guess.

Resample then chop again then drop each hit from the break into the drum racks set up containing kick,snare,percussion?

Pretty much so yeah, but I guess it depends what your using that break for. If its a high pass break for top end I usually put them in a different bus, or just send it to the drum group.

Simple example:

1) Create an audio track and set it with no input on the I-O section of the track mixer. Then rename the track as "SN-buss".
2) Drag the effects, that you want to use for all the other sliced breaks, from the original snare track to the "SN-buss".
3) Select "SN-buss" as output track from the routing of the tracks you want to buss into the same fx chain.
4) On the "SN-buss" monitor switch panel, select "IN".
5) ...done... :)

Simple example:

1) Create an audio track and set it with no input on the I-O section of the track mixer. Then rename the track as "SN-buss".
2) Drag the effects, that you want to use for all the other sliced breaks, from the original snare track to the "SN-buss".
3) Select "SN-buss" as output track from the routing of the tracks you want to buss into the same fx chain.
4) On the "SN-buss" monitor switch panel, select "IN".
5) ...done... :)

Hi Rajstah,

This is how i normally bus EVERYTHING, was seeing if there was a tidier way of doing it so i didn't need to have all my bus channels show up on the arrange page.

If you are looking for the "Create Buss Channel" option on the ableton mixer you waste your time. It doesn't exist such option in Live.
You can only buss tracks by using the routings, groups, racks or you can even use the Return tracks if you really want more tidy.

It just come to my mind a dirty trick, not sure if it'll work. You can use the Compressor as an internal track router utility.
You insert a Compressor into the track you want to use as a buss (in your case the one with the drum rack snare), select, from the sidechain input, the track that you want to buss into this track, enable sidechain and set on monitor the symbol withe headphones at the sidechain section, in that way it will bypass the compressor and just play the trhu signal.
Group the compressor into a rack.
Create a parallel chain into the rack with no effects at all, that will be used as a thru for the content sounds of the track itself.
It should work.
Dirty.
But this is how Live works, it's so flexible that you need to be creative to find your way with routings and racks.
Probably if you love tidiness you should switch to Logic or Cubase.
Let me know if it works...

drum racks use much more cpu than bussing anyway.

If you use the return tracks as busses then you can toggle them on/off in the arrange window.
Set the sends to 100% and the out as sends only.

This is definitely my biggest (and probably only) gripe with Ableton. Perhaps they'll surprise with something for the 9.5 update...or maybe there's some clever programmer out there building a Max device...

In the meantime, I usually just flesh out a solid idea in Ableton and then import the kits, loops, MIDI, etc. into Logic where can route my face off. I'm sure I could ReWire it, but I'm stubborn.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom