Ableton Cutting Tool??

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

I hope this finds you all well. Is there a cutting for audio in Ableton (without slicing the audio wav into midi parts or just reducing the wav file to the section you want to)??? I know Logic has a good cutting tool but not sure about Live.

Thanks, Much Love,
Menosance :)

I dont fully understand what you mean! why would you cut it to midi parts?

What i normally do, which you may or may not know about is the following......

Say you have a piece of audio, ie a bass part, and you only want a small section from the middle of the clip. If you select (by dragging from a start point to a finish point) the piece of audio you want, then hold "Ctrl" and drag (by clicking the bar bit above the wave image) that clip, it will clone the section out from the main audio clip. if you dont hold Ctrl, it will just remove that part and youl have a gap in the original piece. You can then drop this into your session view as a new audio slice or into arrange view as a new bit too.

hope that helps?

I dont fully understand what you mean! why would you cut it to midi parts?

What i normally do, which you may or may not know about is the following......

Say you have a piece of audio, ie a bass part, and you only want a small section from the middle of the clip. If you select (by dragging from a start point to a finish point) the piece of audio you want, then hold "Ctrl" and drag (by clicking the bar bit above the wave image) that clip, it will clone the section out from the main audio clip. if you dont hold Ctrl, it will just remove that part and youl have a gap in the original piece. You can then drop this into your session view as a new audio slice or into arrange view as a new bit too.

hope that helps?

Thanks man. You did fully understand me :)

Its already in ableton, split the audio either from the menu: edit>split or theres a keyboard shortcut: ctrl + e.

That only splits the current clip though, all the audio from the sample is still there, just not being played.

When you want to ditch the rest of the stuff and only take a small chunk I split the clip to only the chunk I want and consolidate the clip: edit > consolidate or ctrl + j

essential workflow tools, get to know your keyboard shortcuts ;)

Back
Top Bottom