aaaaaaaaaahhhhh

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
just tried recording a mix to my laptop and it sounds shit. i had it spot on and when i play it back it sounds all tinny and shitty,

i had master out running to input on my laptop anyone know of why it sounds so shit, the levels on the mixer wernt too high or anything. ?

Try tweaking your mic settings on your laptop mate. Could be they may need adjusting.

tried it through a soundsystem man. Was thinkingof buying that thing of HTFR where u just plug straight into laptop and go. but surely i dont need to. think ill try the mic settings like you say. theres no fuzz just sounds like a recording from a video on your mobile or some shit!

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

What did you use to record it? Audacity?

yeah used audacity.

Hmmm, I always had this problem, my recordings always sounded shit and lifeless no matter what output or program I used. I always thought it had something to do with picking up electrical interference from power cables, but I don't think that was it...

Nah, I was just using the same laptop... Got a new setup now with a sound card, so gonna have a go with that as soon I get the chance.
If it is just interference from the electrical plugs, I think you can get special magnets that clip around the wires and stop any audio from picking up electrical signals.

You blatto have the laptop picking up the on board mic as well as the Mic input via jack. Deffo need to make sure this is set correctly. Plus make sure in your audio drivers are up to date and then turn off anything like sound compression etc like below:

realtek-sound-manager.png

realtek_linein.png

Generally, Laptop sound cards are not of a decent standard. You may need to look at an external sound card which can cope with that level of recording.

Also the problem that I always have is that laptops are not grounded and that is what creates the "Buzz". The way to solve this problem is to have a ground loop isolator. This is the one I use and it has worked a treat. Muzza get this - I heard your latest mix and this is what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GROUND-LOOP-I...212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27b1278eb4

However for the actual sound quality, make sure the mic is turned off, and make sure that you have a decent sound card. Also the mixer could be a deciding factor. Make sure that the mixer is decent.

You on a mac? No idea about pcs but I had this same problem because my mic input was set to 'Microphone' rather than 'Line In' or something, could be a similair thing?

More than likely this, if your sending a line level signal into a mic input its going to sound horrible. Stock laptop soundcard will never be brilliant, but it should sound acceptable.

Just for the record (no pun intended) literally all of my mixes have been recorded on a laptop sound card and they sound fine, even on a system (y)

Does any one know of a software i can download to change my 'mic' imput on my laptop into 'line in' ?

If your soundcards capable of switching between the two, there should be a setting for it in your audio options in control panel/system preferences.

and if not would i just literally record through the mic input and hope theres no distortion?

Back
Top Bottom