A world without MC's

dizzledee

soul muscle
VIP Junglist
I apologise in advance if I'm retreading all ground, my experience with this forum is somewhat limited.

I've been spinning quite a few recorded sets recently and have found myself less and less able to cope with the MC's. Most notably this AMC + Carasel number: http://soundcloud.com/a-m-c/dj-a-m-c-on-4-decks-with-mc

Now to be fair I never really notice MC's on the night, intoxication usual masks their offerings. But, when listening back to live sets I find it hard not to wish them away. However upon reflection I find it hard to imagine a night with absolutely no mic-based input, how would they be introduced!?

At the end of the day the MC's are a separate entity and in my opinion do not complement the mix, but can live drum and bass ever work as a stand-alone show?

Having never been to or seen an MC-less event I'd love to know if they are ever put on, or if promoters swear-by MC's as a tried and tested format.

"A world without MC's"

baby-shocked-face-03-copy.jpg

However upon reflection I find it hard to imagine a night with absolutely no mic-based input, how would they be introduced!?

At the end of the day the MC's are a separate entity and in my opinion do not complement the mix, but can live drum and bass ever work as a stand-alone show?

Are you serious? Why would drum & bass DJs absolutely NEED to be introduced that way when Techno and House DJs (among others) seem to get along just fine without it.

Having spent years as part of a scene that only had maybe one full time MC vs. quite a lot of DNB DJs, I have been to many shows without any MC at all and it was never a problem.

Fabio's swerve nights never usually have mc's billed and those nights run fine. cant stand mc's on studio sets, at nights however im all for them and reckon they are needed. sp with dbridge at fabric last friday is a perfect example of their necessity. the horde of mc's that don't compliment and instead ruin sets however can do one, i never used to mind these "jump up" mcs but now the shit that they dribble on the mic instantly makes me leave the room / also the mc's that decide to buss their pointless singing over tunes ticks me off.

gq, sp:mc and ic3 are pretty much the only guys i rate anyway.

I conlclude I must get myself down to some MC-less dnb nights and that will answer my question.

fanks.

I fuckin hate MC's these days! Go out of my way to avoid sets with MC's. I know it's a part of the scene blah blah blah but who really want's to hear some plastic gangsta jabbering over ya favorite tunes completely ruining them??

without mcs i wouldnt even ever heard of dnb tbh.

so very glad they exist, not so glad that a lot of bad ones get a lot of attention and coverage..

there ARE mc's out there that completely compliment drum and bass, and in a rave make the set what it is... Who else can call for a reload when a DJ pulls of a sick mix

Saying that, as i hate jump up i never (luckily) see these, but SP, Strategy, DRS, ID etc are sick imo

I like a good MC, but most MCs aren't so good .... maybe being into hop-hop before I was into raving means I have tolerance for them. To a point.

The raves I went to in the past woudn't have been half as good without MCs. I couldn't make out the majority of what they were saying, but still.

Back
Top Bottom