A thread for taking ANY production questions... ask me anything

W3st

Unsigned DnB Producer
So I feel like during the majority of the time when I was starting to produce and spending hours upon hours trying to learn production I found that the sheer amount of shit I could make and tweak made it really hard for me to set a good learning curve for myself. I found that because there was so much I could do, that I would never be able to make sounds the way I wanted since there are SO many aspects of production and sound. It felt like finding a needle in a haystack; making synths and drums sound pro without any real input other than "experiment bro" from other users and people helped because I found my own way, but I feel like a simple push in the right direction for experimenting would really help up and comers.

This thread will be a way for me to help the newcomers get on the right path to making the sounds they want. I will not hold your hand and do it for you but I want this thread to be a way for me AND other users to help each other out either on this or by pm's, IM, email, skype whatever. That way we can get shit done and all learn YA FEEL?

I guess I'm feeling really nice today and also feel the feels that y'all have all gone through when we started producing. Shit was confusing, so much frustration etc.

Disclaimer: not claiming that I'm pro. I know my way around FL very well and can zip through it, but by no means do I know every trick and am claiming to be the boss man, although i think I'm awesome. so fuck you

oh and I use FL 9/10 - peep tracks in the sig for reference to ma work. cheers boys

EDIT: I use massive, zeta +, addictive drums, various vst effects on the mixers etc. Just ask me bout anything and if I dont know the answer i'll be honest

Last edited:
Well, within the next few months I'll be building my own windows computer and switching to FL Studio; curious if, other than the manual, you know of any solid resources for understanding the intended workflow of FL and getting ideas down quickly using it?

Ok cool first post, thanks dugg.

Here's what I'm thinking, I know that if I sat down with you for a few hours I could run you through all of the FL workflow and get you pretty comfortable to do it again on your own. Now I know I cant physically sit with you and do that, but there are other ways I suppose.

What I could do is create a video of an entire FL studio workflow. If you gave me the rest of the day I'm sure I could post one up here for everyone to see.

Thoughts on that idea?

EDIT: Otherwise I could just post here and maybe get some pics but something tells me that would take forever. I could get around that by having you ask me specific questions about FL. But I like the video idea

Last edited:
Well, if you like the video idea I'd say go with that. Definitely more fun/interactive than look at a picture (which would take you forever and a day to make a billion screenshots nobody wants to stare at lol.

If you do that mad reputation and thanks my dude!

Alright well this was the worlds fastest fucking tut haha, but it should get you somewhere. Ill try and find a better program/way to make tuts longer and more detailed but this'll do for now, if you want more specific videos/instructions on how to do certain things ask away. seriously, anything haha. I'm all about it

here's the tut, sorry for sounding like im on crack but i had to make it short and thats why its also hella choppy :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious what other peoples opinions were. We have a fully loaded x rack which is amazing have the ssl stereo super analogue eq and compressor and ssl 4k e series eq and compressor. Just in two minds if to double the x rack up and get more of the same eq and compressors to compliment our 24 channel ssl summing mixer or to go with a an api and fill it with more bespoke rack units such as shadow hills compressors. Said ask anything lol so I thought I'd give it a bash.

Ok as were on the subject of plugins and the digital world, what are your thoughts on analogue emulation in the digital world? I recently did some A B C testing with analogue - waves emulation and uad emulation. Here's the results

you sound like you really know your stuff, sounds awesome, actually starting an internship/shadowing program soon with a friend of mine who works closely with all analogue set ups so I'm really looking forward to a solid learning experience.

In regards to your comparison of emulation i checked out that link and that test is really eye opening.. good shit!

you sound like you really know your stuff, sounds awesome, actually starting an internship/shadowing program soon with a friend of mine who works closely with all analogue set ups so I'm really looking forward to a solid learning experience.

In regards to your comparison of emulation i checked out that link and that test is really eye opening.. good shit!

I work in different studios day in day out so talk audio 24 7. Could sit and have a conversation about compression for hours on end.
As for the comparison above I've had many people say to they were under the impression that the SSL 4k was a good emulation until they heard it. It's terrible there's better free ware plugin compressors out there. Was amazed with the Uad emulation it's so close we did blind testing and no one could definitely tell them apart. The original analogue hardware is amazing has a warm rich sound which is classic from the 4k units.

You'll have great fun shadowing an engineer on analogue gear. Getting hands on in a studio is so much fun. What I will say is have an open mind. Just because its analogue does not make it better. Form your own opinion and test. I worked solely on analogue equipment for years and if I'm honest in the production stage working in the box was more convenient. I always mix down to analogue and master to analogue. But prior to mixing I stay in the box. When working with analogue the placebo effect does come into play. Believe me I've been fooled

I have one, why does the poop come from the back? What is a pee-pee and a vaginuh?

Just curious what other peoples opinions were. We have a fully loaded x rack which is amazing have the ssl stereo super analogue eq and compressor and ssl 4k e series eq and compressor. Just in two minds if to double the x rack up and get more of the same eq and compressors to compliment our 24 channel ssl summing mixer or to go with a an api and fill it with more bespoke rack units such as shadow hills compressors. Said ask anything lol so I thought I'd give it a bash.

Ok as were on the subject of plugins and the digital world, what are your thoughts on analogue emulation in the digital world? I recently did some A B C testing with analogue - waves emulation and uad emulation. Here's the results

Shit dude... that sounds fucking rad. If I were you I'd stick with the SSL gear. Tbh it depends though. If you know the SSL gear back to front, then stay with it. No point in forkin out on shit you've never used before. In my opinion, stay safe and stick with what you got unless you get a really good chance to test others out.

To be honest, I'd go for a dvx 160 if there's a remote chance you can get your hands on one and then some Neve EQ. (Neve EQ just fuckin works for me. They have a lot of shit down to a mutha fuckin T!) Hopefully that is some basic and probably useless info haha. Tbh, I've probably totally missed the boat and got the question wrong. I'm pretty pissed.

As for Analogue emulation, combinations of gear are the fucking bollocks. The waves plugins sound lush and if you know how to use them you can really make things sound kinda analogue. The UAD stuff is mental though. A mate of mine uses them non stop. Sounds so fucking nice.

Back
Top Bottom