A sub that will come right through your mix, but won't crackle your drum sounds..how?

Re: A sub that will come right through your mix, but won't crackle your drum sounds..

It's all about EQ-ing your drums and sub the right way.
The sub is always very low, so make sure to EQ out that frequencies out of your drums without making the drums too flat.
And yes, making the bass mono instead of stereo can help to get a better mixdown.

Re: A sub that will come right through your mix, but won't crackle your drum sounds..

sidechaining sounds like the one maybe

try some compression or limiting, see how that does for ya. Or adjust the levels in your mix so that everything else is lower than the sub, you know, get the balance that way.

great info as said above, def make the sub in mono as well as the low end kick. try subtley adding harmonic or layered content (upper bass to compliment the sub) at aound 250 to 500 Hz experiment around that zone. these upper frequencies seem to bring out the sound without smashing the low end.

I'd have to agree with everything already said here;

#1 - EQ your kick and sub correctly. I usually boost my kick a little at 120hz, and cut out anything under that, thus leaving room for your sub.
#2 - Along with the EQing, a little subtle compression on the bass can also help push it through the mix without muffling everything.
#3- Sidechaining apparently is also good, however, cant say I've dabbled with sidechaining bass, I use it more for helping my kicks come through....

On side-chaining... the result is only as good as the effect your using. Ideally the comp/limiter will have good attack and release controls to allow you to shape the way the bass returns after being triggered. I prefer to build a separate bus just for triggering the side-chain and then EQ a 2nd kick into the equation for when I don't want to dip the bass.

It is all in the EQ though, try to match/tune the frequency of your kick to the general frequency of the sub for best results.

Peace

BNGMovingLogo01.gif

Lee Fury & JTB
http://soundcloud.com/biteandgouge

exactly, its all about choosing the right sample and eqing out space for it in the mix, these two things are more important than any compression or sidechaining even if those are very helpful for too.

Back
Top Bottom