A strange obsession with eq I have...

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
I like to think that I imagine (mainly in a bassline btw) there are a bunch of frequencies, and I almost want to have the essentials of those frequencies in a sense. I end of up with hollow basslines because of this, just loads of filtering, possibly distorting them again would bring back that kind of hole that's missing I guess, but I'm not sure. I constantly think of those resonant peaks when I am doing processing, imagining the unwanted frequencies being exaggerated further with a chorus or such things. It's why I like graphic eq's so much, I can just kind of get a general improvement of tone real quickly in between each effect.

http://soundcloud.com/tatilla/dnbforum-example

Look like here (oh and that snare doesn't sound as punchy as the kick, hmm)

Does that bassline seem hollow?

I see what you mean about hollow, but distortion isnt going to fill in the space

I think the problem is resonance at the top end of the sub, 100-130hz, I can hear it ringing out sumwhere down there, and it makes the low-mid/mid range ring out aswell giving that hollow sound, everything else sounds tight as fuk

.....I suspect that once that low range of freqz is dealt with, there will be less EQ needed higher up

I see what you mean about hollow, but distortion isnt going to fill in the space

I think the problem is resonance at the top end of the sub, 100-130hz, I can hear it ringing out sumwhere down there, and it makes the low-mid/mid range ring out aswell giving that hollow sound, everything else sounds tight as fuk

.....I suspect that once that low range of freqz is dealt with, there will be less EQ needed higher up

Ahh, because I gave it a boost in 200 or so, and I thought it would give my bass more body. As I learned today from reso, that's where you have to cut actually, to make way for that snare

Ahh, because I gave it a boost in 200 or so, and I thought it would give my bass more body. As I learned today from reso, that's where you have to cut actually, to make way for that snare

eep yep a boost there would do it! its not just about letting the snare thru tho, the resonant points 200-250 in a bassline pretty much always mess up compression, aswell as the body and punch of the sound

The key to this bassline was lots of filtering really, bandpassing is your friend!

My general rule of thumb is to cut about 3db from the bass for the kick and snare and then series the EQ
Same as cutting the kick around 200 by 3db
An early force of habit from Fast of Savage Rehab lol

I'll be perfectly honest, I can't wait till people stop trying to emulate those shit annoying basslines. :mad:I'm sure the first person to invent it was taking the mick, and now everyone is on it,what is it about?

I'll be perfectly honest, I can't wait till people stop trying to emulate those shit annoying basslines. :mad:I'm sure the first person to invent it was taking the mick, and now everyone is on it,what is it about?

its all done entirly to annoy you, and has nothing at all to do with people enjoying the sound

I'm Pretty sure no-one enjoys listening to that sound, it's a case of fashion, like Embers breaks.

The worst type of music to be invented in the last hundred years, :tut:

Back
Top Bottom