A question

Messages
48
Likes
0
#1
first of all I'd like to say hello as I'm new to the board...now that I've got that out of the way lets get on to the question.
I've been listening to drum n bass / hardcore since 91 but in the past few years i've got a wee bit slack, I've not been keeping up with the scene like I used to, so will someone tell me WTF clownstep is?

gimme some examples (ie titles) so I know what yer on about.

:shades:
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,398
Likes
14
#2
HA! Classic! That's the first post I started on this board too, and I been listening as long as you. It started a proper shit fight too.
Seems to be it started when some producer said a Dilllinja tune sounded like a bunch of clowns dancing, or something amusing like that. People use it to talk about tunes with big/wobbly/crazy basslines, and straight ahead drum patterns. Music with very little melody or brains, just tear-out dance floor silliness. Its what I have always called 'jump-up'.
It gets used as an insult by people who don't like the sound, some use it to describe knees-up dNb, others are just sick of the term because it is used negatively a lot, and many think its a useless term. Everyone has an opinion of sorts, I am one of the latter, but hey ...

I blame the internet, and the advent of swing music.

:rslayer: :banana:
 
Messages
48
Likes
0
#3
mesh said:
HA! Classic! That's the first post I started on this board too, and I been listening as long as you. It started a proper shit fight too.
Seems to be it started when some producer said a Dilllinja tune sounded like a bunch of clowns dancing, or something amusing like that. People use it to talk about tunes with big/wobbly/crazy basslines, and straight ahead drum patterns. Music with very little melody or brains, just tear-out dance floor silliness. Its what I have always called 'jump-up'.
It gets used as an insult by people who don't like the sound, some use it to describe knees-updNb, others are just sick of the term because it is used negatively a lot, and many think its a useless term. Everyone has an opinion of sorts, I am one of the latter, but hey ...

I blame the internet, and the advent of swing music.

:rslayer: :banana:
You're basically saying people who don't like jump up have re named it clownstep?
So could someone give me examples of what they would call jump up/clownstep because I don't really pigeon hole my music, I see it all as DnB...a good tunes a good tune to me, if it moves me I don't stand there debating wether its cool enough to be moving to this certain producer because someone else doesn't rate them. So give me a few examples and I'll tell you if I'm a clownstepper :rave:
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,398
Likes
14
#4
I'll let people who do like to pigeon-hole their music do that.
Others will also have different ideas about what it is anyway, this is just my opinion.
 
Messages
48
Likes
0
#10
Serum said:
Pendulum's another planet is probably the best example.
Right I gotcha..Ravey stab things!!! I have to admit that gets on my tits as well. I can now confirm to the DnB forum that I'm not a fan of "clownstep".

Bad Ace: thanks for the welcome. I listened to your tune, thats not bad at all. A wee bit repetitive but not as cheesy as the example Serum gave me.

PS Serum : big up the buckfast massive :alchy: :
 

Bad Ace

Close2Death
VIP Junglist
Messages
3,319
Likes
10
#11
DJ Kaotic said:
Bad Ace: thanks for the welcome. I listened to your tune, thats not bad at all. A wee bit repetitive but not as cheesy as the example Serum gave me.
hehe i only made that 4 a larf,no effort innit :gpeace: i dont normally make clownstep cheese man. ;)
 

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
11,102
Likes
2,998
#13
i resent that term. i think it promotes negativism in the music and its the first of its kind (well mark coined the term wankstep back in the day but it never really caught on). i see it as a negative development.

now, besides that im confused about what it means. at first it was swingstep and then it was g-dub and dillinja and now its pendulum too? i think these are all very different stiles with the only common denominator that i can think of beeing some highly opinionated wanker who doesnt like any of these artists decided to just call every thing that isnt rock hard tech 'clownstep'.
 

Serum

Well-Known Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,100
Likes
153
#15
logikz said:
i resent that term. i think it promotes negativism in the music and its the first of its kind (well mark coined the term wankstep back in the day but it never really caught on). i see it as a negative development.

now, besides that im confused about what it means. at first it was swingstep and then it was g-dub and dillinja and now its pendulum too? i think these are all very different stiles with the only common denominator that i can think of beeing some highly opinionated wanker who doesnt like any of these artists decided to just call every thing that isnt rock hard tech 'clownstep'.
It started off as a real gay term but I'm sure artists are now playing into the term by making silly tunes. Well I certainly hope pendulum were taking the piss when they wrote another planet anyway
 

Ab0|2Ti0N

WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE???
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,050
Likes
0
#16
I guess it's all of matter of opinion. The term is pretty silly if you ask me. Didn't it start off with Keaton or Dylan referring to 'Bodyrock' as clownstep or something? :clown:
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,398
Likes
14
#17
Serum said:
It started off as a real gay term but I'm sure artists are now playing into the term by making silly tunes. Well I certainly hope pendulum were taking the piss when they wrote another planet anyway
yeah they were taking the piss out of people who can't get their head around a different type of tune.
 

sparkyc10

Kentish Junglist
VIP Junglist
Messages
917
Likes
1
#18
bodyrock kind of began the whole clownstep thing in my opinion. i just see clownstep as exactly what it sounds like, silly tunes. dosnt necessaily mean theyre bad tunes i dont think, just makes u hav a bit of a laugh the first time u hear it (come on, u know u had a chuckle the first time u heard the bassline of bodyrock :)) saying that though, another planet is pretty silly in some ways but idont think id class it is as cownstep. seeing that the whol thing started with the wobbly comical bodyrock bassline, i think id classify clownstep tunes to hav wobbly basslines rather than the amusing tunes. best example of this i can think of is 'i kamanchi - circus'. definitly worth checkin out if ur tryin to broaden ur clownstep horizons :)
 

illv

the winnipeg styler!
Messages
221
Likes
0
#19
simply, the clownstep is the following, check out my site! http://www.clownsteppa.com

;)

illv//


DJ Kaotic said:
first of all I'd like to say hello as I'm new to the board...now that I've got that out of the way lets get on to the question.
I've been listening to drum n bass / hardcore since 91 but in the past few years i've got a wee bit slack, I've not been keeping up with the scene like I used to, so will someone tell me WTF clownstep is?

gimme some examples (ie titles) so I know what yer on about.

:shades:
:boom:
 
Top