A question for experienced instrumentalists or people who have worked with them.

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
First off, can I ask if there are actually any instrumentalists/singers/rappers on here? I haven't really seen any (a few MCs maybe), but that's not quite the same kinda thing.

If there are, I could do with some tips:
Despite a fair few years of playing solo, plus a fair few group performances, I try to record some stuff playing along to a metronome on headphones and it's still a little bit out of time when I add a programmed drumbeat. I can't play the drumbeat whilst playing cause my piano is in a different place to my PC, and anyway I think it wouldn't help cause I'm already using a metronome.

Is this me, or is combining live and recorded material just really unforgiving on otherwise unnoticeable slip-ups.
Does anyone have any tips on preventing this from happening? Have I just got to record everything a dozen times to get it perfect? How do the pros do it?

Instead of a metronome through your headphones can you not record your drum loop and play that through? That way you'll b playing to the actual beat you're going to use instead of keepin to th metronome? IM not a huge or brilliant instrumentalist but i play a few instruments and i always found it easier havin th proper beat behind it. In the same sense, when playing guitar, it always flowed better playing over th actual tracks percussion instead of a basic little beat. Anyway like i said im not a huge instrument player anymore but this always helped me, hope it helps you :)

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_337 using Tapatalk

there are a variety of plugins that allow you to tweak your vocal samples to make them fit the bpm. i forget the names but look up vox plugins. that and the use of timestretching on various clips can be done to match up vocals. it takes time but it works.

there are a variety of plugins that allow you to tweak your vocal samples to make them fit the bpm. i forget the names but look up vox plugins. that and the use of timestretching on various clips can be done to match up vocals. it takes time but it works.

That would work if I played at a constant speed, but I don't... it's more like there are lots of notes very slightly early or late.

chop them up and move them around a bit? as long as you dont overdo it you'll keep that "live" vibe
I was trying, but it's very time consuming and I could do with a nice VST to smooth the process over.
I've heard melodyne mentioned. I don't care about pitchshifting, would it be any good for this situation?

First off, can I ask if there are actually any instrumentalists/singers/rappers on here? I haven't really seen any (a few MCs maybe), but that's not quite the same kinda thing.

If there are, I could do with some tips:
Despite a fair few years of playing solo, plus a fair few group performances, I try to record some stuff playing along to a metronome on headphones and it's still a little bit out of time when I add a programmed drumbeat. I can't play the drumbeat whilst playing cause my piano is in a different place to my PC, and anyway I think it wouldn't help cause I'm already using a metronome.

Is this me, or is combining live and recorded material just really unforgiving on otherwise unnoticeable slip-ups.
Does anyone have any tips on preventing this from happening? Have I just got to record everything a dozen times to get it perfect? How do the pros do it?

i work a lot with a professional jazz pianist and all i do is half time, in midi and then double time towards dnb

Back
Top Bottom