A point about DNB mastering and when it gets TOO LOUD

fanu

tuubi-1024x640.png

I was going thru some DNB promos today, and, once again, was a bit disgusted by how loud some of the big label tunes still are.

I wrote a little blog post about it, and included a pic of one of the masters, too.

The blog post: A point about mastering and when it gets too loud.
http://fanumusic.com/a-point-about-mastering-loudness-these-days/

How do you feel about the loudness issue these days?

Yeah that's pretty bad - I've seen worse tech-house though. Tbh man, it's going to take a monumental shift to get people to stop doing this. It needs to come from people like yourself. It's good that you posted this on DOA too.

i like my music loud....but theres a point..where it actually hurts my ears at full blast....and my ears are used to a beating.....theres a point where it's not nice sounding anymore its just annoyingly loud......

I completely agree with this. Even Emperor said in a Reddit AMA that he used to try to make his tunes as loud as possible, but then realised that it's better to have the tune a tad quieter but with more dynamics.

Personally as a producer I'm still struggling to get my music louder than it already is, but not to the point where everything is squashed. IMO Critical Music do a great job at balancing loudness with dynamics with their releases.

you cant tell if a track is "too loud" from the waveform :p

I do a wide mix of mixing and mastering, everything from wide dynamics to tight in your face no room for even an extra hat style...whatever works for the style, there are no rules, if an artist is going for "that" sound, then its not upto me to tell them whats what (except when it comes to Technicalities)...i love heavily compressed music as much as I love wide dynamics, if the mastering style suits the music.

you cant tell if a track is "too loud" from the waveform :p

I do a wide mix of mixing and mastering, everything from wide dynamics to tight in your face no room for even an extra hat style...whatever works for the style, there are no rules, if an artist is going for "that" sound, then its not upto me to tell them whats what (except when it comes to Technicalities)...i love heavily compressed music as much as I love wide dynamics, if the mastering style suits the music.
Yeah, sometimes heavy compression just fits the track. For instance, Current Value's tunes are compressed to shit but IMO they sound good with that compression

Back
Top Bottom