DnB A Plea to Hospital Records

Cuive

NOTE: I originally posted this on my G+ (hence the +Names), but felt I wanted to share it with this community as well. I kinda wrote this up in extreme anger after listening to the new Netsky album for the first time, however it is a general reaction to ALL 2012 Hospital releases. Though new to this forum, I can already tell I'll probably catch a lot of heat for my opinions below, but at the same time I really want a genuinely educated response to measure my opinion up to. Please try to not flame me, but at the same time I would very much like any feedback you have to give. Discuss away! (also, if you're just gonna TL;DR, please just move on)

+Netsky , +High Contrast, Logistics... I'm just going to call the attention of the entire +Hospital Records crew: I absolutely LOVE each and every one of you for what you've done for #drumandbass , okay? LOVE it. But. And here's a HUGE but. WHAT IS WITH ALL THE GOD DAMN DUBSTEP IN MY DRUM AND BASS?! This isn't a damned Reeses.

If I HONESTLY felt like you all were now including dubstep in your music because you're honestly, genuinely interested in it, that would be one thing. But it's almost blatantly obvious that you're incorporating it because it sells. Furthermore, and here's the important aspect to me at least, you are still marketing your albums as Drum and Bass.

If you're gonna include Dubstep, or Electro, or any other genre in your album, and not as an influence to a DnB song, but an an entire song that is clearly a different genre, then please PLEASE warn me BEFORE I buy your product and my expectations are not properly met. I look to Netsky, Logistics, High Contrast and pretty much all of Hospital Records as consistent purveyors of genuinely AMAZING Liquid DnB. When I listen to your newest albums, and third to a HALF of that album is simply NOT Drum and Bass, no matter how well you produced the tracks I'm not going to be pleased because I THOUGHT what I was purchasing was a DRUM AND BASS ALBUM. That's like if Bjork's next hit album included a few hard rock tracks. No matter the reasons, no one buys Bjork expecting hard rock, like no one buys a comic book expecting 5 pages of text and no pictures, and like I didn't spend my hard earned money on your newest releases expecting dubstep, electro, ect.

It's not THAT you did it that pisses me off so profoundly, it's that you are still saying these albums are DRUM AND BASS albums. If you're going to change your content, that's fine. You are all artists, and have a right to produce whatever it is that you find interesting or pleasing. Obviously many fans would be displeased if ALL you made was Dubstep, but screw em. It's your music, make it how YOU want. But understand that not marketing it properly will result in losing a great number of your following to frustration as they cling to their expectations, instead of sharing your vision for the future.

If you're going to change your content, then you absolutely MUST make an attempt to connect with your current audience, through proper marketing, to let them know you are now branching away from your roots. On behalf of Liquid DnB lovers everywhere, please communicate with us better. Let us know what we're buying, and when it will run contrary to our expectations. Please. I want to keep loving you all, but I need to know where we're going first.

Thank you all for taking the time to read through.

It's never gonna happen whatever it is you wrote, but you could try harder in finding stuff you do like, its the internet its not too hard to work out

It's never gonna happen whatever it is you wrote, but you could try harder in finding stuff you do like, its the internet its not too hard to work out

Wow. Just wow. I'm actually insulted that you even bothered to reply when you couldn't even read through to this

(also, if you're just gonna TL;DR, please just move on)

Honestly, I know I'm a noob here, so I know better than to start a fight with someone who is clearly quite active here. That said, I can't wrap my head around why you would waste the time to reply when you wouldn't even give me the courtesy of actually reading what I wrote.

I love Drum and Bass so much that I'm willing to stick my neck out there to see what others have to say about my opinions. Please, if you're going to respond to my opinions, actually respond to my opinions. It's simple, common courtesy.

EDIT: One other thought that crossed my mind just now: Is everyone in these forums as clearly cynical about the state of the DnB world? Assuming you're replying to pretty much just the title of the thread, I can't believe you're so jaded to believe that things couldn't get better. Then again, I consider myself an optimist, so maybe I'm just missing something :confused:

Last edited:
If you have any sense if you dont like something go somewhere else, its not an insult its just the way it is, no insult involved and yes forums tend to be very negative, however focus on what you do like(regarding on my first post) many people will steer you onto stuff in your style, its all good, its music not politics

Alright, I understand the sentiment for what it is, and accept its validity. Thank you for clarifying. I guess it just seemed exceedingly generic, and given the passion that I put into what I've written, it felt like a dismissal of my opinion, and the emotions behind it. I see what you meant now. Thank you for that :)

That said, I still think it's an important topic to discuss, if not with any concrete solution in mind, than to at least discuss for the sake of discussion. With the blending and melding of genres getting more and more popular, and artists branching out into other areas, genres and sounds, I think it's important that our favorite artists don't forget why we fell in love in the first place. Many radically change, and often times there is no clear communication that a change is about to take place. Essentially, I'm advocating more, proper dialogue between artists and the market they cater to.

I like what your saying but you chose the benchmark of what you dont like, therfore just ignore it, I been listening to D&B for too long to see this pattern, and the internet age theres tonnes more to enjoy, i really find it hard it moan about music when there is so much available

Trouble with anybody who actually considers themselves an artist these days is, they don't wan to pidgeonhole themselves do they...

Its not good commercially or amongst the circles they move in & short of physically writing "Netsky - Codswallop [Fringestep], Logistics - Turderation [Pseudolesbianrapecore]" etc etc on the tracklist to every album & actually style/genre specifying the tracks themselves... What are they supposed to do...

Like Toejam said, its never going to happen...

Listen to some Dub Reggae & smoke some Milkshake, even Netsky does this on aTuesday afternoon.

What exactly are you going to achieve with this anyway?

Big deal. They can make whatever they want. They're musicians, they're not pigeon holed to any genre, they just happen to make predominantly Drum & Bass.

These days producers are making albums, not a compilation of singles. Therefore there will always be a bit of variety in the work. I for one like a bit of variety, they obviously like it, so big deal.

Last edited:
I see your points.. but to be fair if you have been following these artists and love them as much as you do, you should have seen this coming about 2 years ago! give up mate... its over!

i dont have those albums. did it actually say "Drum and Bass" on them?
If it did then i guess you have a point.
If it didnt then no - that just what their music is like now.

You say you're not bothered that they are making this music, you just don't like buying an album and finding dubstep on it when you think it's dnb... then why don't you just preview the album on iTunes or whatever? You can then just buy the tracks you like and skip the ones you don't. Problem solved.

i was abit irritated with crash bang wollop as every other logistics album was purely dnb
mind you there was only one dubstep tune on there and a house thing which i like.lol

so im not sure where im going with this

not being funny mate but if your rele love your hastagDRUMANDBASS and followed bass music as a scene then you would understand why they are doing this, one of the main reason's is to sell it to a new audience i.e youth and americans, so why not make it generic as fuck it worked you brought it if your stupid enough to buy a netsky album then there master plan worked, but well done for not likin it your have now reached a time where your drum and bass tastes are changes continue down this road and in a year's time you be like why did i even bother to email them

like others have said, listen before you buy..

i used to really like some of what hospital put out back in the day, and a lot of other people on here probably did as well. However everyone changes over time, and hospital has a new direction.. solution: go find something that you like the sounds of. There are brilliant labels like Fokuz, Samurai Red Seal (to an extent), Inneractive, Spearhead etc that put out stuff superior to hospitals current stuff.

Go check it out and embrace the good stuff out there, rather than spending time writing letters that will get ignored by the artists.

I like the new Logistics album, but not really as a whole album, so that is kind of a weird thing to say. Too many exeriments on there for my liking. But I have to say, that I absolutely love most of the dnb tracks on there, absolute quality imo. Slightly more cheesy than his older stuff, but I dig it. It's boring if a producer just sticks to the same thing all the time, especially if you have released as many tracks as Logistics has.

As for the High Contrast and Netsky album, not a fan. Haven't bought a single tune from the High Contrast album, and will only bagging maybe 2 or 3 from the Netsky album. I don't know, these albums just seem weak to me, not really my taste, which is a shame, because I digged Netsky's 1st LP and everything else from High Contrast.

Back
Top Bottom