DnB A label we must start...

Derelicts Of Tomorrow

Founded 1977
VIP Junglist
Recording this contest mix a label has been born one could insist to suggest,,, The tunes involved in the exclusive contest mix I'm recording for everyone is seriously fucking awesome, like who the fuck are you guys and were have you been hiding because i've been in the scene 17+ years and the quality, i can't stress enough, is nothing short of rediculous in the best way possible for real...

With this diverse of a sound, whilst still carrying similar vibes, I dunno, I just can't help but feel dnbforum recordings (wink wink* @ owners of this wonderful forum) can't help but be born. I mean seriously, these tunes are fucking amazing. I wish you all could hear them on my set up and after a few bowl packs lol, but seriously... damn

fantastic idea, a bandcamp should be easy enough to set up, right? what does that entail actually, dont people have to pay on bandcamp? how will they get the money to me though, i cant be found by anyone. certainly not the government, im not even supposed to be in this country.

When you open an artist account, you don't need to pay. But bandcamp keeps all the "profit" every 10th copy sold from your work.

When you open an label account, you add to this a subscription tax as well.

Sounds like a damn promising idea. I think it will need a little capital to it airborne though. A little fund for 'just in case' scenarios.

I'm with you all of the way about the quality of production on this forum though DoT. Some talented mofos on here for sure.

@Derelicts Of Tomorrow This concept sounds like a great idea and would provide a lot of people a platform in which their tracks could be accessed. A YouTube channel and soundcloud to develop the reachability would be cool also.

It all really comes down to the responsibility of setting up and maintaining these types of accounts. As was said before, if any help is needed then I would be happy to contribute!

Graphics guy chiming in here too. Would be more than happy to take up the branding and artswag side of things.

Not to put anything down here, but you guys need to do a proper market plan, specially for promo. Just by having soundcloud and youtube alone won't help. It's possible that people won't listen.

So, plan the thing right. Use all social media you can and please, pretty please, don't spend money on "promotions". Yeah, by this I mean Facebook, Youtube and any other "official" promotion kind of thing. It doesn't work. Basically this means: like farms, like farms everywhere.

What Liz said. I think at the moment it's best to solely focus on who's actually keen to be involved and be prepared to commit to the adventure. Once that's sorted, then organise an effective means of communication between everyone, delegate positions, brainstorm and time-map a project schedule (We better have a Gantt chart. I fucking love Gannt charts). I think promo and social media stuff is a way away yet. Solid foundations are needed before you can build anything.

Sidenote: Facebook promotions can actually be very effective if you know what you're doing. My missus is a Marketing coordinator and has years of experience in it. She's shown me the evidence of how good a well run and paid for facebook advertising campaign can be. Youtube promotions/ advert payments aren't really worth it until your views are high. Still, long way down the line yet.

Sidenote: Facebook promotions can actually be very effective if you know what you're doing. My missus is a Marketing coordinator and has years of experience in it. She's shown me the evidence of how good a well run and paid for facebook advertising campaign can be. Youtube promotions/ advert payments aren't really worth it until your views are high. Still, long way down the line yet.
I personally used both paid promotions for Facebook and Youtube, to disastrous results. Maybe the FB one wasn't done right, ok. But the youtube one was just throwing my money away. Or people in Vietnam, Camboja and Thailand are really into dark downtempo music (even though Analytics says that it is more popular in Russia, Poland and Germany)

Yes I agree, no need to go into this full speed ahead... definitely should take it slow, make a plan, and stick to it. That being said, I am co-founder of In Da Jungle Recordings and they are currently at around 200 releases and have been going strong since 2006, so I have a pretty good idea of what needs done. And not to toot my own horn but I created the label brand by designing the logo, just saying... i think we have all the tools, we just need to create a plan and get to it...

What Liz said. I think at the moment it's best to solely focus on who's actually keen to be involved and be prepared to commit to the adventure. Once that's sorted, then organise an effective means of communication between everyone, delegate positions, brainstorm and time-map a project schedule (We better have a Gantt chart. I fucking love Gannt charts).

We have people from 3 continents already (correct me if i'm wrong) that are interested in this, the time differences alone will be a challenge.

We'll need a chatroom of sorts i think, (maybe a private [EDIT: i.e. you'd have to be logged in to see anything] forum, so we can make headings, subtopics, etc?) just to see where everyone's at in terms of time available to commit, and to get to know the people that want to get involved better. Is this something maybe we could even do thru the DNBforum site? @logikz , i'm just wondering.

I'd like to get involved but i don't have too much time to commit right now. I could help with the small stuff, (post new vids/tunes out to the accounts, help sift through demos etc)

Last edited:
We have people from 3 continents already (correct me if i'm wrong) that are interested in this, the time differences alone will be a challenge.

We'll need a chatroom of sorts i think, (maybe a private forum, so we can make headings, subtopics, etc?) just to see where everyone's at in terms of time available to commit, and to get to know the people that want to get involved better. Is this something maybe we could even do thru the DNBforum site? @logikz , i'm just wondering.

I'd like to get involved but i don't have too much time to commit right now. I could help with the small stuff, (post new vids/tunes out to the accounts, help sift through demos etc)

With Detached Audio, me and Ron talk a lot when my free time happens to be the same as his. Or not. We basically chat all day long if possible. Bear in mind that he's (as most of you) 5 hours ahead of me. I think that different time zones won't be a problem at all.

I only work 3 days a week so I have lots of time to lend to the cause.

im involved with other labels in different time zones and its never caused any issues.

as far as material, yes I think the comp winner would be a strong first release, then we just take it from there one by one and all need to agree on a tune prior to any signings, agreements, etc.

Back
Top Bottom