A few questions

Discussion in 'Production' started by football345, Feb 21, 2010.

1. football345

football345 Member

Any help would be good.

(Working in fruity loops)

1. When compressing drums would most people say its better to compress each drum ? Or would it be better to link all of my drums into one channel and compress the whole drum set?

2. How do i make the drum beat in the intro to this tune (below), its a simple kick snare kick kick snare, its the double kick i cant work out. Im guessing its quite simple but cant work out the slide on the first kick to the second. ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJuxUrN0sDI

3. The samples i make in massive are the sounds that i am looking for, but not sounding clean enough, is this just a case of playing with it till it sounds cleaner, or are there other plugins i could add on top to clean it up?

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

1. compression can be used either to reduce the dynamic range of an audio track (the difference between the loudest and quietest parts) or for the shaping of the sounds. so if yo're mostly working with single sounds their level will be equal, so there no point is using compression on the individual drums. rather use it on a master drum buss as to make everything sit together nicely. but dont forget the other use for compression, and you may find a setting that radically changes a single drum's sound in a pleasing way.

2. [​IMG]
    thats the pattern. obviously sample selection plays a great role, and it would help if you play about with the velocity of the third kick, as you dont want it to punch as much as the first two.

3. more often people perceive sounds as clean if their dominant frequencies are accented. check your frequency analyser for the biggest spikes in your sounds; these are the dominant frequencies. as a general rule, you want them to be more prominent, and you can achieve that with equalisers. also, try to export the sounds you like from massive, and work on the as audio. its a bit of a problem if you want to go back and adjust something on the synth, but if you're certain that you wont need to do that, its much better to work in audio.

hope this helped a bit. (y)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. football345

football345 Member

Thanks for the advice, really helped !

4. Krispy

Krispy Member

good advice

5. Zaphear

Zaphear LFTD Whore

velocity is key, also look into Ghosting a kick.

also, writing off the grid can help...not sure bout fruity loops if that's possible? i use pro tools.../shrug