A few n00b questions from someone far too old...

monq

Hi everyone! I hope this is the right forum to post this, if not -mods, apologies!

Ok, I was wondering whether you fine people could help me out. D&B is one of the few musical genres that I have NEVER actually cared to listen to - I mean, I can enjoy from baroque music (as in Buxtehude of Bach), Trash metal or Goa trance... but I have always asumed that I would not like D&B, probably seeing that most people I know who like D&B could be my grandchildren... :D

However, a few days ago i was listening the radio, and after listening to "something" - cannot remember the name of producer nor song! that blew my brains away, the DJ described it as D&B. Needless to say, I felt immediately compelled to learn about it... BUT:

I guess D&B is like other genres: it must contain various sub-genres? The music I heard was quite fast and very rytmically complex - xomething I love, and it also had a hypnotic feel to it, very much like Goa trance...

Could anyone point me towards the right direction? I am fully aware that I am being exceptionally vague, but if someone could let me know what styles of D&B are there, and which ones could fit a bit more in what I am looking for, well I'd be grateful! :D

Apologies for the long post, summarising has never been my forte...

Regards,
David

p$ I promise I look a bit like this >>> :andy:

well, grandad, i'm thirty... and definatley not young enough to be your grandchild. there are people older than you who have seen this music through since it's inception.

i have no idea what you're after, i have never heard any kind of dnb likened to goa trance before, however, i would suggest listening to producers such as ben sage, subsonik, maybe concord dawn. they have a progressive trance like feel to them sometimes that might be what you're after

Yeah subsonik I would say, why don't u google goa trance inspired drum and bass lol see how many things come up?

I think you would like dnb if u just listen to it more, most genre's get influence and incorporate sounds and styles from one and other, u would be surprised how diverse the scene really is!

LOL, glad to know that I am not the only one +30! :D ;)

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, will definitely have a listen to those names, guess I'll start in myspace. I have tried Pendulum, and nope it definitely was not them - the stuff I heard was closer to goa than trash! :D

But nevertheless, thanks a bunch, I have already heard a few free mixes in one of the posts in these very forums, and it is quite close to what I am talking about... so I guess quite a lot of D&B will actually be close to my vague description...

thx!

David

To be honest Drum and Bass is a huge and varied genre, mainly because (as Goldie was talking about on his podcast) its classified by a speed as opposed to a sound like most other genres.

Youll find theres alot of music out there, and it will take a while to scratch the surface.

If i were you i'd download a few mixes from the mixes section on here, and just have a listen really. Find out what kind of sound you're looking for and then you'll have alot more of an idea.

Couple of people i would suggest checking out though:

Commix
D-Bridge
Calibre
Spectrasoul
Lynx

All sorta the same vibe of drum and bass, but producers that really know what they're doing. Much more listenable music than alot of stuff thats out there to be played in a club.

Again, thanks a lot all!

I have been making some "home made" electronic music for a while, and the idea of starting a completely new approach - i.e D&B sounds fascinating - and daunting.

So I will definitely make a list of downloads and charge my mp3 player so that I end up understanding the innuendos and differences in the genre... :)

David

One other thing i thought of:

You could try checking some podcasts/radio stations.

Off the top of my head the Metalheadz podcast and Sol:ution radio could be worth a try.

And also, on wednesday evenings you can watch live DNB mixes on breakbeat.co.uk (DNBTV). Might be worth a shot aswell, really good lineup so you can see it all in going on without leaving the house!

what station, and day, and time? can probs find it for you :)

drum n bass is an amazing genre man, it draws you in so much ive often stayed up 24 hours sat like a saddo on my pc just going through track after track on a weekend. on you'll start off listening to one style of dnb and finish up in a totaly new place.

Mate the closest thing to Goa trance i can think of is Subfocus - Vapourize but it ain't out yet.... its in the subfocus essential mix which you can download if ya have a little hunt

Wow, so many replies?! Thanks a bunch to all of you guys, I have already downloaded some stuff and I am going to start burning ASAP.

One of the reasons why I am now really eager to start listening to all this is because you all seem to be really passionate about D&B... and this I always find impressive! :D

I have joined other forums in the past when asking something as noob as this has ended up in two or three people contemptuosly asking for "go Google"... :P :D But having so much feedback in so little time... well, it's great! :D

I have started producing some really basic stuff - right now I am in the middle of a diyish goa anthem, but I hope I can create something more d&bshy in a few months / albeit I am sure it won't reach many top charts! :D ;)

Again, thanks a bunch, I hope to keep around - although my posting is always limited by my work and family tasks (got two kids! :D) ;)

Best regards,
David

Back
Top Bottom