A drum question.

Fratanize

Keepin the jungle alive
VIP Junglist
Big up subsonicdeejay for his advice so far on drum layering. Been giving it a go and we shall see if it has paid off on my next track.
Does anyone use left and right panning on drum patterns. Will this widen the sound of the patterns or is it best to keep the panning central?
C'mon, gimmee the knowledge peepz

i used to do this allot in my hiphop mpc2000 days. use 2 snares and pan one slightly to one side and one slightly to the opposite.or use the attack of one and decay of the other then you can bring them in once in a while single to keep it interesting.my opinion (not that it matters) is that it usually only sounds ok if its real subtle

i used to do this allot in my hiphop mpc2000 days. use 2 snares and pan one slightly to one side and one slightly to the opposite.or use the attack of one and decay of the other then you can bring them in once in a while single to keep it interesting.my opinion (not that it matters) is that it usually only sounds ok if its real subtle

cool i might try that

me too dude. i wonder, if you work it til it bleeds right and you get a big old smacky smack snare, and pitch it differently, does that change the entire thing? i think it does so after a while i stop pitching it

ech i get that smack and keep pushing for more till its way out of wack and its just plain annoying.i try to tune it ddown/eq/filter but just end up swaping it out for another or starting over

There's no real reason why you would want to pan your main drum hits??!! The reason being - imagine playing your tune in a club.......People on the left hand side of the venue will hear a snare or hit that people on the right hand side wont and vice versa...also imagine how annoying and confusing when your DJing to hear hits panning irregularly from the left monitor, then the right when you are trying to mix?? Think about it.
Panning should be used on the odd sound for creating atmosphere or adding an effect to your tune but use sparingly.

right right,thats why i said real subtle,and im saying this only about layered snares for those that do that sort of thing.a dj would still hear it hit at exactly the right time with either l or r headphone,people on the far right would only hear the snare ever so slightly different than people on the right but at the same time as people in the middle hearing more of the stereo effect.just an idea for people bored with using the same old loops or want to own there sounds a little more.not saying its right or wrong

Its ok to use panning to percussion and bongo's etc in the rythum section of the tune to add movement and add to the groove.
Listen to the intro of 'A bit patchy' by Subfocus.....Theres a sampled bongo loop from an old hip hop tune that sits in the mix that has a slight left and right pan on which gives the track a shuffley groove to the track.
Experiment as it can really make the track move.

I’m not sure if I am off topic, for those of you in reason and sick of those boring overused drum loops.

1. Create 3 types of redrum instruments

2. Pan Redrum1-hard left, Redrum-2 center, Redrum-3-hard right.

3. Deselect Bass drum and Snare in redrum 1 and 3.

4. Select redrum 1 and choose any random drum kit

5. Right click in the pattern area and select randomize pattern. Keep randomizing until you get something interesting. At this stage you can switch drum kits to change the flavour.

6. Do step 5 for your Redrum 3, this time make it interesting with redrum 1 playing along.

7. Finally Redrum 2 center can now be programmed with just bass drum and snare. In the middle of the mix. If you need to make a bigger bass drum/snare, try layering different bass drum/snare samples on other freed up channels of redrum 2. Fine tuning should be taken in consideration so that you don’t make unwanted mud. Feed a compressor to tighten the low end. Don’t be scared to add some distortion to you kit.

8. Once all of the sounds are complimenting each other you are done! You can always rewire these into your other DAW for further processing.

Remember rule number 1, there are no rules!

Thanks for reading.
Let me know how it turns out for you

Back
Top Bottom