a bit of basic technical info...

pandemonium

im gonna sound like a complete retard but i gotta ask someone....
i dunno a thing about mixin'.
could someone tell me where everything comes from? like the beats, do they come from the mixer, or do you buy vinyls with beats on em? same with bass and samples and everything, do they come from the mixer or vinyls or what?

cheers guys...

if you mean mixing dj style, then just go buy some dnb vinyl and thats all ya need. but if you mean mixing in a production sense, all the parts you mentioned come from synths, samplers, drum machines etc to make a complete track.

M-Code said:
if you mean mixing dj style, then just go buy some dnb vinyl and thats all ya need. but if you mean mixing in a production sense, all the parts you mentioned come from synths, samplers, drum machines etc to make a complete track.

im pretty sure he ment mixing vinyl, and its far more complicated than what you just said by buying vinyl and thats it :)

i will post again on here..

illv//

pandemonium said:
im gonna sound like a complete retard but i gotta ask someone....
i dunno a thing about mixin'.
could someone tell me where everything comes from? like the beats, do they come from the mixer, or do you buy vinyls with beats on em? same with bass and samples and everything, do they come from the mixer or vinyls or what?

cheers guys...

cool man, gotta learn sometime! When Djing all the sound comes off the vinyl (lets assume you wanna spin vinyl not CDs or whatnot).
That sound goes from each record deck to the mixer, which has a crossfader. The crossfader allows you to adjust what comes out of the speakers, the left deck or right-hand deck, when the crossfader is in the middle position what you hear out of speakers is both decks at same time.

Mixing involves getting both records at exactly the same speed by adjusting the pitch control on the deck playing the tune you are bringing in. When they are properly in synch you can blend the soundsa and maintain the rhythm..

obviously it all goes into amp, out speakers.
anyway theres more to it but I wont go on and on
:twitch:

mesh said:
cool man, gotta learn sometime! When Djing all the sound comes off the vinyl (lets assume you wanna spin vinyl not CDs or whatnot).
That sound goes from each record deck to the mixer, which has a crossfader. The crossfader allows you to adjust what comes out of the speakers, the left deck or right-hand deck, when the crossfader is in the middle position what you hear out of speakers is both decks at same time.

Mixing involves getting both records at exactly the same speed by adjusting the pitch control on the deck playing the tune you are bringing in. When they are properly in synch you can blend the soundsa and maintain the rhythm..

obviously it all goes into amp, out speakers.
anyway theres more to it but I wont go on and on
:twitch:

solid points for the newbie! but dont forget to mention when he is mixing to use similar keys!!! :)

peace
illv//

illv said:
solid points for the newbie! but dont forget to mention when he is mixing to use similar keys!!! :)

peace
illv//

oh god I could bang on about the finer points of mixing all day, and bore people more than normal. :monkey: He'll get it sussed out I'm sure ...

cheers people...great help
what if i wanna make my own dnb tracks rather than mixing to songs together.
i spose i'll have to get tonnes of equipment like the prodigy, yeah?

ta

nowadays you need nothing more than a computer and a sequencing package (cubase/logic/flstudio/reason etc) and a load of samples/vst instruments. there are so many debates on producing with hardware or software, i personally use both but you definately don't need liam howletts setup to make a solid dnb track.

M-Code said:
nowadays you need nothing more than a computer and a sequencing package (cubase/logic/flstudio/reason etc) and a load of samples/vst instruments. there are so many debates on producing with hardware or software, i personally use both but you definately don't need liam howletts setup to make a solid dnb track.

havnt you noticed with reason that it is ment for more of a techno/trance production?

illv//

I don't use reason, but it's pretty standard stuff so making dnb is no problem. I wouldn't really agree that it's more techno/trance orientated - there are plenty of dnb refills around.

M-Code said:
all the doa reason purists will happily reel off a list of the all the tracks fresh has done in reason. i think he may have posted himself about it. lots of tracks anyhow.
'Temple Of Doom' (y)

M-Code said:
all the doa reason purists will happily reel off a list of the all the tracks fresh has done in reason. i think he may have posted himself about it. lots of tracks anyhow.

The whole Music Maker EP on Ram was done in Reason and mastered in Logic I beleive, you dont need Logic to make the sounds just to improve the quality. Tech Itch made Soldiers (I think) on it as well, and Liam Howlett is doing the whole new album on Reason, again using something else to master (Pro Tools I think), SDM started a thread in the Production forum with a link to the article.

yeh ur rite, there was a thread on here with a link to DOA which had fresh sayin all the music makin ep was done on Reason.
fresh is a great producer but i didnt like the music maker ep!(apart from elm street which was ite) is that cos of Reason or jus the tunes he was makin at the time lol??

on the original point, its pretty much all bin covered by mesh; but u jus go 2 record stores & buy tunes, make them the same speed using the pitch control on the decks (you listen 2 one deck in ur headphones while the other is playin out of the speakers) & use the mixer to play both the decks out the speakers at the same time! but if you dont get the records at exactly the same speed then mix sounds terrible!
it takes quite a bit of practice at 1st to tell which record is faster or slower, but once i got it i never lost it :D

Do you have any acquaintances that spin/mix? It would be a great deal of help if someone showed you in person how to throw it down on some decks. (y)

M-Code said:
I don't use reason, but it's pretty standard stuff so making dnb is no problem. I wouldn't really agree that it's more techno/trance orientated - there are plenty of dnb refills around.

Um... the question was about djing not producing... There is no way you can mix with Reason or Cubase or Acid or whatvere.

Happy jenny said:
:applause:
Hello and thank u for teaching me what i just read!
Would u possibly be able to spare some more of your time to tell me more?(yn)
let me know either way please
jen x

yeah sure (y) , but do you have a specific question/s? I really will bore you if you just let me ramble about mixing.

Back
Top Bottom