A bit more advanced kick design request

Quotec

Sup

I was wondering how could I design kicks that you can hear in those tracks below:

I can't seem to find anything similar in my rather small sample library. I was trying to synthesize this kick from a more weighty house kick (bad idea isn't it) but the results are rather disappointing. Spectral analysis reveals that kicks in above tracks are peaking rather high (above 100Hz) yet they sound like they have more depth.

I also cannot dissect the characteristics of this kick: does it have a short attack and a fast release? What should be the starting point for synthesis? My assumption is that the basic kick should be a DnB kick that is already peaking high (above 90Hz) and then try to change it's ADSR settings and also a pitch. Seems like I can't pitch a kick too much or else it sounds completely off. Maybe layering is key? How should I layer?

Thanks in advance

I'm no expert but it sounds like more than just a kick sample,. layered with some sort of fx/reverbed layer. get the kick to punch through with the right frequencies etc then try layering a sound on top and eq'd to suit. matching key will be pretty important I'd of thought

You actually tried a synth kick or put a house kick in a sampler?

I recon you'd get close actually making one rather than manipulating samples

Yeah thanks for your suggestions. Actually I was searching some information on those kind of kicks and I found that drum synthesis tutorial you posted. It was a very useful information but unfortunately I am not a Massive user. I tried to fiddle around in my own synthesizers and I found one preset that had the punch in the right spot but it lacked high end definition. So I layered some stuff on top of that punch and got some interesting results. Today I tried another approach and used low toms on top of kicks (pitched them up and shortened the decay to get a good punch and a short tail). I should say I was very close to what I want. Now back to "laboratory".

Back
Top Bottom