A beatmatching trick

Beat matching is maths, plain and simple. You need to work out the percentile of the pitch speed difference between the two.
For example, I know the tune I start my sets of with currently is 170bpm. I like to play my sets around 175pm (it's a comfortable speed for me), so I set my pitch to 3% on the deck with the 170bpm tune on it (3% of 170 is 5.1, so the tune is now roughly at 175pm). The next tune I want to mix into it is at 172bpm, so I need to get that tune up to the speed of 175bpm so it is matched with the other deck. I know instantly that the pitch increase needs to be around 1.7/1.8%. Why? 2% of 172bpm is 3.44. So if I have my pitch set to 2% on the second tune, it will be running ever so slightly faster than my first tune (at 175.44bpm vs 175bpm), so it needs to be slightly slower than 2%. Probably closer to 1.8%. Voila, the two tunes should be beat matched.

A basic knowledge of maths and knowing the bpm of your tunes is MASSIVE help to beginners. The fine tuning, now that comes with time and progress. Knowing your records is the same as knowing the bpm of a track. In time you should be able to work out the bpm of a track just by listening to it.

Over complicating things to be honest.

1.Listen to track 1
2. Cue up track 2 on the headphones
3. Use the pitch to get the track in time

Hey presto! I've just beatmatched without using maths or a BPM counter!

ellaskins video is the best tutorial i have seen to explain it in the simplist way!
use the pitch to control the speed!
start off too slow, move the pitch till its too fast, move it back till its too slow, move it back till its too fast, move it back till its too slow, getting smaller changes in pitch each time.
logically if +2 is too slow and +6 is too fast then the correct speed is going to be somewhere in the middle!

ellaskins video is the best tutorial i have seen to explain it in the simplist way!
use the pitch to control the speed!
start off too slow, move the pitch till its too fast, move it back till its too slow, move it back till its too fast, move it back till its too slow, getting smaller changes in pitch each time.
logically if +2 is too slow and +6 is too fast then the correct speed is going to be somewhere in the middle!

I'd be clicking on the THANKS button if we still had one!

fucking yesss mate! i get it now, iv managed to do sum good mixes but havent fully understood the best technique to use to get the tracks playin in time, u guys deserve the respekt of gods lol

Heheh beat matching isnt a black art or anything, its mearly just trial and error with a bit of methodical thinking. When I first started I made sure that I kept a close eye on the EXACT position of the slider, then any movement slower or faster, I'd make that I didnt put it back in the same place. This is what most people fuck up on. If you know where you start, then if you have to slow it down to get it time, then you MUST make sure you move the slider to a position that is slower. Couple of go's and its in beat!

Actually now I think about it I still do that method on random decks that i've never used before, never fails really!

thing is im using cd decks, roughly the same technique but need 2 make sure th records round about the saame speed, i can pitch a load more than vinyl decks itz just the cd bpm thing keeps like showin for example, 172.3bpm , then few seconds later it wud go down to 127 . sumthin, wot does that mean , is it like the bassline speed or sum shit ?

it keeps the same speed and pitch but it changes, is that to make it so u get to knw the bpm yourself, rather than relying on the digital bpm counter. kinda makes sense really, and the bpm counter aint bang on. but its a good guide

^^ Sorry to say your're reading it to way too much! Its just you're Cd decks not being able to analyise the BPM properly, thats all. Pioneer CDJs rarely do this when the tune has dropped, but can jump around like mad on intros with no beat like.

Beat matching is maths, plain and simple. You need to work out the percentile of the pitch speed difference between the two.
For example, I know the tune I start my sets of with currently is 170bpm. I like to play my sets around 175pm (it's a comfortable speed for me), so I set my pitch to 3% on the deck with the 170bpm tune on it (3% of 170 is 5.1, so the tune is now roughly at 175pm). The next tune I want to mix into it is at 172bpm, so I need to get that tune up to the speed of 175bpm so it is matched with the other deck. I know instantly that the pitch increase needs to be around 1.7/1.8%. Why? 2% of 172bpm is 3.44. So if I have my pitch set to 2% on the second tune, it will be running ever so slightly faster than my first tune (at 175.44bpm vs 175bpm), so it needs to be slightly slower than 2%. Probably closer to 1.8%. Voila, the two tunes should be beat matched.

A basic knowledge of maths and knowing the bpm of your tunes is MASSIVE help to beginners. The fine tuning, now that comes with time and progress. Knowing your records is the same as knowing the bpm of a track. In time you should be able to work out the bpm of a track just by listening to it.

Just tried using this method and its spot on mate! Big yourself up!
Ive always found the Ellaskins method pretty hard tbh and can take ages whilst mixing.
This method helps until I can use my ears to mix.

Over complicating things to be honest.

1.Listen to track 1
2. Cue up track 2 on the headphones
3. Use the pitch to get the track in time

Hey presto! I've just beatmatched without using maths or a BPM counter!

There's nothing complicated about it. Piece of cake unless you were to retarded to pass SAT level Maths in year 7. It's all well and good to be like "just work it out with your ears" but someone just starting off mixing hasn't developed their ear yet, so knowing stuff like the rough BPM of the tracks and what the numbers of the pitch slider mean helps a lot.

Just practise riding the pitch. When I first started (only a year ago lol) I used to contantly be nudging the platter and touching the record, such a bad habit, i find you'll get a way tighter lock if you ride the pitch. All about that too fast too slow pitch ride imo !

There's nothing complicated about it. Piece of cake unless you were to retarded to pass SAT level Maths in year 7. It's all well and good to be like "just work it out with your ears" but someone just starting off mixing hasn't developed their ear yet, so knowing stuff like the rough BPM of the tracks and what the numbers of the pitch slider mean helps a lot.

Ok, whatever. :rolleyes:

You say someone who's started hasn't developed their ears yet. True, but that's why you practice isn't it? Practice, practice and practice some more. Or is that just being retarded these days?

Anyways, it's all good, I'll stick to my ears, you stick to your maths.(y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom