90bpm DnB request

1993 was 22 years ago, therefore clearly not the date range I was talking about ;) and arguably it was not what we consider to be drum and bass today

No but it did just about manage to define everything we listen to today. Since 91/92 Jungle / Drum & Bass has constantly evolved.

your all wrong, DNB was created in the late 1800's using cowbells and flutes, originally it was over 9000 BPM but it started melting peoples minds so they banished it, some time in the 90's Goldie heard this banished material and because he's a badman it did not melt his mind, he put this into a range between 160 - 180 BPM so normal people can listen to and this is what we know now as DNB :teeth:

your all wrong, DNB was created in the late 1800's using cowbells and flutes, originally it was over 9000 BPM but it started melting peoples minds so they banished it, some time in the 90's Goldie heard this banished material and because he's a badman it did not melt his mind, he put this into a range between 160 - 180 BPM so normal people can listen to and this is what we know now as DNB :teeth:
I heard this story too. Apparently Goldie pushed D&B downstairs and that's how it didn't melt his mind.

I heard this story too. Apparently Goldie pushed D&B downstairs and that's how it didn't melt his mind.

haha spot on, these stairs:

never-ending-staircase-by-david-mccrackens-3.jpg

what do you mean "no"? lol

as you said "most tunes in the club circuit ranged from 170-175" - so I don't really get what your point is...seems to me you are just trying to argue for the sake of it - and I'm not sure why you are fixating on the 180bpm either?

and if you want to be picky about numbers, well i said "nearly 20 years", 1993 was 22 years ago, therefore clearly not the date range I was talking about ;) and arguably it was not what we consider to be drum and bass today

First of all, I'm not arguing for the sake of it, I'm just telling you that I disagree with your vague statement that dnb has been in the 160-180 range for 20 years now. Yes I realize now you meant "nearly 20 years" even though you didn't explicitly say that, but that doesn't change my opinion, as most dnb was in fact up to 170 until 1996, which is clearly within the date range you were talking about.

You said yourself that tempo at which DJs would typically play their set at is a different topic, yet that is exactly what @tyranny was on about in the first place. Think you misunderstood what he said yourself.

I'm not fixating on 180 either unless you mean my answer to the OP, who was actually fucking asking for 180+ DnB. As for whether the stuff DJs like Bukem were playing in mid-late '93 is considered dnb/jungle, that is semantics and I cbf to argue about that so I will leave it.

First of all, I'm not arguing for the sake of it, I'm just telling you that I disagree with your vague statement that dnb has been in the 160-180 range for 20 years now. Yes I realize now you meant "nearly 20 years" even though you didn't explicitly say that, but that doesn't change my opinion, as most dnb was in fact up to 170 until 1996, which is clearly within the date range you were talking about.

You said yourself that tempo at which DJs would typically play their set at is a different topic, yet that is exactly what @tyranny was on about in the first place. Think you misunderstood what he said yourself.

I'm not fixating on 180 either unless you mean my answer to the OP, who was actually fucking asking for 180+ DnB. As for whether the stuff DJs like Bukem were playing in mid-late '93 is considered dnb/jungle, that is semantics and I cbf to argue about that so I will leave it.

arguing with someone by agreeing with them ("stuff played in clubs 170-175"), makes absolutely no sense.

trying to prove a point by using exceptions to a rule, also, makes no sense

The "stuff played in clubs 170-175" was said because I thought you literally meant 20 years ago. Since you say you meant to say "nearly 20 years ago" I actually don't disagree, just think your statement about 160-180 was vague.

Where did I use exceptions to prove a point?

you know what, fuck what you think I don't even care this debate is so pointless I might as well just say I give up.

well, you said "fast moving", but maybe they could work out as some nice interludes in your mix. 90/180 bpm, nuage 178 bpm or something.

("tethys" starting @ 1:40 min)

Last edited:
Uhm I play 88/176. Can't stand going below zero on the pitch but don't like going all the way up. Makes me feel like the tune doesn't sound right.......just throwing that out there since I read this whole post ha ha.

The "stuff played in clubs 170-175" was said because I thought you literally meant 20 years ago. Since you say you meant to say "nearly 20 years ago" I actually don't disagree, just think your statement about 160-180 was vague.

Where did I use exceptions to prove a point?

you know what, fuck what you think I don't even care this debate is so pointless I might as well just say I give up.

if you had read what I wrote properly in the first place, you could have saved yourself some pointlessness

Back
Top Bottom