808 Bass kicka

kuthoerrr89

Hey peeps,

So i'm currently still working on my beat as i am using the recommended 808 BD cuz its nice a subby. I have some questions about the 808.

1. I got the 808 BD now, is it wise to layer it with a more punchy BD? (since its pretty much just bass) if so, how do i EQ them properly?

2. The 808 BD is slow release kick, is it wise to just use the whole kick or just cut it in half so my kick is just of normal length? for example: making it boom instead of boooooooooom (i hope you understand what i'm trying to say here :rosie:)

3. I also am using a snare from the 808 sample pack which i am layering with another snare yet my snare overall still sounds abit empty, what can i do about that? Any EQ settings i should try?

Thanks in advance, big up to the forum btw! :gslayer:

It really depends on the track, but with DnB most of the time you don't have a lot of room for long boomy bass drums, so yes you will want to shorten it up to make it snappy insead of flabby. And yes, do layer it with a more trebly bass drum. There aren't a lot of DnB tracks that go with an 808 drum by itself.

You're going to want to filter out the really low end of the drum too, because it will more than likely conflict with your Sub-Bass (again depending on the track).

Most of all, use your ears. If it sounds good it isn't wrong.

good words from Kylec, it does depend on the track and the feel you want to get - its a great place to start, then take it further.

i think thats a pretty deep bass drum and snare and i think it works. sometimes drum n bass moves on the snare, sometimes it moves on the kick, sometime it moves on the bass line. dont limit youself to the 80 hz factory preset kickdrum the preset 250hz snare etc cos you might miss an intrinsic accident that actually pushes your track forward.

what type of dnb do you make?

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

to shorten the 808, envelope it with a short decay. it will shorten the length and retain its zero crossing and saves the wav info if later you ant to dynamically open the drum up to go 'boooooooooooooooom' hehe ;) also the 808 snare is nice when used right, try saturating it and distorting it slightly, it can get big pretty quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to add is that if you want your kick to stand out and you want to keep it nice and deep without conflicting with your bass, you can use side-chain compression to carve out a hole for it. Apologies if you know about it already.

808s are great all around and on the machine itself, or its vst emulations you can adjust the decay snap and tone. my mate has even got a snappification mod on his.
thats like a hack, its kind of cool. but like t-leaf i like to get a long sound and do the env in my sampler.

Just make sure your kick doesn't take any of the subbyness of the bd . Also a good tip for sub bass and your kick is that the frequency below the kick are often meant to be felt and not to necessarily punch thru as the kick would so if you had the kick punch around 80-100hz and your sub or bd 808 around 40-50 hz then it would be wise to cut the kick's sub out and cut out any of the sub that would clash with the punch of the kick.

Back
Top Bottom