4 Deck Question...

DJ SCUBA

Vinyl Addict
VIP Junglist
Me and a mate of mine are planning a four deck mix and possibly recording it. Just a shout out to anyone who has done this before, cause we're struggling to work out whether...

1) We use a 4 Channel mixer with Headphone Split

2) We use 2 mixers with a RCA cable split into one amplifier.

Of course with option 1) we have a problem with monitoring different channels, and with option 2) we have a problem with being accurate.

Has anyone got some guidance for this?

Get a Heath and all your problems will be solved, but I understand were not all millionaires including me ( im in dept:| ) but still you can set differrent chanels to different headphones on an Allen & Heath correct me if im wrong....

2) We use 2 mixers with a RCA cable split into one amplifier.

Doing this will damage your mixer's outputs. The mixer's outputs are a lower impedance than the amp's inputs, so each output will be trying to drive the other output, instead of the amp

u cant put different channels to different headphones on a heath. on 92 has two inputs for headphones but u cant have one headphone output playin one channel n the other output another so it wouldnt work.

if you aren't able to do it on one mixer, then go out and RENT an allen & heath xone 92..
i've always wanted to do a solid 4 deck mix with someone, but havent had the chance yet

PLEASE share the finished copy with us :D

i have done quite a few sets in the studio as well as live with 4 decks. we have found that havin 3 mixers works real well. the two dj mixers go into the 3rd mixer in the middle of the two set ups. this will allow you to monitor from both sides and have complete control of eq and faders for cuts. takes a bit a gettin used to but its so much fun.

use 2 mixers, one needs 3 channels one can do with 2, run the 2 channel mixer into line in of the other mixer which is always on, then u have 2 mixers running, 2 headphone outputs then output it to the amp.
if you get me? ;)

Back
Top Bottom