Benga - 808
Benga - Baltimore Clap
D1 - Ongie Bongie
D1 - Pitcher
DJ Madd - Flex'd (Ikonika Remix)
DJ Madd - Detroit Skank
Skream - Swarm

Thanks!

yeah, the stuff that instead of having kicks on the one and three has them on the 1,2,3 and 4.

also this... didn't really care for the original but this is big!

Last edited by a moderator:
it is but most of the time producers make the snare hit on the third beat rather than the second

Tornado wants more like four to the floor type stuff? I was getting concerned when I saw the thread. I thought there was no way a snare on the third could be considered 3/4. It would be alot easier to rhyme over for a lot of people. Then again, it isn't too easy to get your lyrics across while getting wubbed proper.

it is but most of the time producers make the snare hit on the third beat rather than the second

thats still 4/4 tho..

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

All dance music is written in 4/4. It means 4 beats to a bar - regardless on where the drum hits are in that bar.

Last edited:
thats still 4/4 tho..

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

I think you lot need to brush up on your music theory. All dance music is written in 4/4. It means 4 beats to a bar - regardless on where the drum hits are in that bar.

I think if you read what I put you will see I was agreeing with you that most dubstep is 4/4. I was just saying its 4/4 but the snare is on the third beat rather than the second and fourth.

Also I think you will find that all dance music is not written 4/4 for instance timewarp, bodyrock etc are all in triplets, there has also been other jungle and dance tracks writen outside of the 4/4 time signature

Last edited:
I think if you read what I put you will see I was agreeing with you that most dubstep is 4/4. I was just saying its 4/4 but the snare is on the third beat rather than the second and fourth.

Also I think you will find that all dance music is not written 4/4 for instance timewarp, bodyrock etc are all in triplets, there has also been other jungle and dance tracks writen outside of the 4/4 time signature

Timewarp and Bodyrock both have a 4/4 time signature, a triplet is a note length and has nothing to do with time signature. If you listen to the beat you still count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4.

If you were to mix them tracks with any other standard dnb track the bars would both end at the same time which means it is 4/4.

I honestly can't see any dance track not being 4/4 because it would make mixing very awkward and you wouldn't be able to match the bars.

Timewarp and Bodyrock both have a 4/4 time signature, a triplet is a note length and has nothing to do with time signature. If you listen to the beat you still count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4.

If you were to mix them tracks with any other standard dnb track the bars would both end at the same time which means it is 4/4.

I honestly can't see any dance track not being 4/4 because it would make mixing very awkward and you wouldn't be able to match the bars.

my mistake, but there are still jungle and dance tracks written outside of the 4/4 time signature. I will make it my mission tonight to find one. You have to remember dance music hasnt always been made for mixing has it?

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

exactly right mate. ALL dance music is 4/4.

I promise you its not

oh and a triplet is a group of 3 notes together. counted like 1e& 2e& 3e&....

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

my mistake, but there are still jungle and dance tracks written outside of the 4/4 time signature. I will make it my mission tonight to find one. You have to remember dance music hasnt always been made for mixing has it?

I promise you its not

find me a dance tune which is written in 7/8 or 5/4 then? Inless you count vivaldi's four seasons as dance music? haha

Tornado wants more like four to the floor type stuff? I was getting concerned when I saw the thread. I thought there was no way a snare on the third could be considered 3/4. It would be alot easier to rhyme over for a lot of people. Then again, it isn't too easy to get your lyrics across while getting wubbed proper.

dnb is four to the floor... fuck it, most modern music is four to the floor... or written as you would on a music sheet 4/4

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

in addition, drum step is still around the 174bpm mark and 4/4... although the beats fall differently

I promise you its not

I can't really comment on old school tracks as I don't really know any but I still can't see it happening because the rhythm would be really hard to dance to, obviously I can be proved wrong.

The only artists I know that use odd time sigs are experimental metal bands such as

the verse is 5/4 I believe but I am sure that there is many more time sig changes in there

also 5/4

I don't even know because they use crazy polyrhythms and time signatue changes which I can't even begin to understand.

A page on wiki explains the Meshuggah track

The song, in typical Meshuggah fashion, applies various poly-metrical changes throughout the song, though the song as a whole is firmly rooted in an altogether standard time signature of 4/4, which is shown mainly through the consistent cymbal and snare pattern in the drum track throughout the song. Any unconventional rhythms within the guitars therefore end up conforming to this traditional time signature. Ignoring the standard metre of the drums, though, and solely concentrating on the guitars would give these results:

* The intro riff is five measures of 23/16 and one of 13/16.
* The verse is 9 measures of 3/8 and one measure of 5/8.
* The passage from the lyrics "Self-inflicted fractures" changes to 3/4, 9/16, 3/4, 9/16, 3/4, 5/8
* The passage from the lyrics "Baptized in vitriolic acid" and the guitar solo alternates between 7/16 and 9/16
* The passage from the lyrics "Disciples" changes to a 4/4 rhythm, which can be seen as a 4/4, 3/4, 5/4, 4/4 pattern.
* The ending riff is 6/8, 8/8, 6/8, 8/8, 4/8 (which all adds up to 32/8, and could be divided into four 4/4 measures)

Also lots of jazz uses odd time signatures..

I used to mix Hard House (yes really) and I can guarantee some of those were in 3/4 time sig. Not many though.... bit of a stupid and offtopic argument if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom