3rd deck option?

Freek

Lets get freeeeeeky
VIP Junglist
Safe peeps, so i been mixing on my 2x 1210s for a looooong time now and feel quite restricted by 2 deck mixing... As i cannot afford to treat myself to a CDJ atm i've installed a 2nd copy of traktor onto another laptop and i'm using this as my 3rd deck through one of the spare channels on my mixer... I'm controlling the pitch fader with the mouse and the pitchbend with the hotkeys so as to keep the real mixing feel. So to all the djs on this forum, is this an acceptable way to approach 3 deck mixing or should i allow it until i get a CDJ? The reason i'm asking as i'm using this method to do my DNBArena comp mix and don't want to get boycotted for not using a conventional mixing method...

Doesnt matter IMO. If you can do it on traktor you can do it on cdjs.

Anyway its good practice for the future. Even if all your tunes are synced using the sync button, there's still lot to learn about 3 deck mixing through the mixer itself and through timing shit right, beat matching is just the same (unless you're playing 3 tunes out at once). If you feel that you're cheating try covering up the waveform and pitch speed.

I wouldn't worry about the mix competition, how are they going to know? Hell theres nothing stopping you recording a 2 deck mix and just adding tracks in later. Or you could even just mix in logic or albeton or something

cheers mate, but just to clarify i'm not using the sync button.. infact it would be impossible for me to use the sync button as its a completely independent traktor system from the one the decks are connected to lol! Tbh i've mixed 3 decks with a cdj a few times n doin it the way im doing it now is a hell of a lot harder lol!

Haha I used to do the exact same thing. Talk about making it harder for yourself!

Get yourself a CDJ as soon as you can though, so much more intuitive to mix on 3 decks when you've actually got err... 3 decks.

As for the competition, dunno why they wouldn't allow it. Like you said, it's more of a challenge if anything.

no problem with this man, i started off with my 2 technics 1210 and was using virtual dj through the other remaining channel on my mixer to 3 deck with. As said before the sync button has nothing to sync to so its no good :) soon after i bought a cdj800mk2 which was a great idea, now have 1000mk2 as well :)

Haha, once I tried 3 decks with my 2 1210's on channel 1 and 4 and my iPhone running Dj Rig plugged into channel 2. it was so difficult it was barely worth doing. Gonna invest in another 1210 next month.

Back
Top Bottom