320 mp3 vs Wav

I'm actually quite suprised at these responses

I use 320kbps mp3s for djing, I don't see the need for wav. or anything else really

If I actually listen to a 320kbps mp3 next to a wav. I don't really notice too much difference in quality

320 mp3s still sound great imo

And if you consider those people big in the scene sharing tunes over aim to dj and play out with, I think you will find that it's 320kbps mp3s that are transfered rather than wav. files

Wav.s are just too big to store on most laptops, I've got 7 gig of 320kbps mp3s as it is!

And to go online and pay £2.00 for a digital wav. file of both sides of a release, well you might as well just buy the vinyl that little bit extra!

This

Just seems a little bit long :confused: Maybe I'm totally wrong, it's just when I've been in contact with producers they would never send me a wav. straight away, always a 320kbps mp3

i know for a fact in other sounds promos are sent via ftp
its easy and most djs play flac cus ftps download very quickly and and files can be ant any size
flac track can be over 120mb

anyways i dont know how it works in dnb mp3s promo sent to big players
maybe its via cd and they used 320kbps

Last edited:
Gurning, dosed cretins don't tend to know if a tune is even being mixed let alone if it's mp3. I have both wav and mp3, the difference is minimal, wav is better but to be honest if I didn't know I'm not sure I could tell but maybe I'm just a dosed cretin :E

i dont think wav is better then mp3 to me they sound the same

flac is so much better u tell the diffrence with flac

flac sounds so much better in a mixes as well

WAV is lossless and is CD quality, you can't get better than WAV. FLAC is just a compressed WAV file, standing for (Free Lossless Audio Codec). They sound exactly the same, there is no audio difference, the only difference is the smaller file size of a FLAC file making it more convenient.

As someone said earlier you will never be able to hear the difference between a 320 kbps mp3 (aslong as a good encoder was used such as LAME) and a FLAC or WAV file unless you are using hi end audio equipment or headphones.

That being said I wish 128 kbps mp3's were banned because they sound like shit.

mix a 320mp3 into a vinyl tune and the difference is obvious. no real sub bass comming through and the high end just doesn't seem to be nice and crisp, and doesn't cut through the mix.

to me it's the same as mixing a wav (as that's what gets pressed onto vinyl right?) with an mp3, the difference is obvious. i'm supprised people are saying different.

it's evident when i adjust the gains on my mixer for wav and mp3. wav is more or less the same as the vinyl (say 10 o clock)

and mp3s are always around 12 - 1 o clock.

you need that boost to level them out and make them sound fairly decent in the mix IMO.

mix a 320mp3 into a vinyl tune and the difference is obvious. no real sub bass comming through and the high end just doesn't seem to be nice and crisp, and doesn't cut through the mix.

to me it's the same as mixing a wav (as that's what gets pressed onto vinyl right?) with an mp3, the difference is obvious. i'm supprised people are saying different.

it's evident when i adjust the gains on my mixer for wav and mp3. wav is more or less the same as the vinyl (say 10 o clock)

you need that boost to level them out and make them sound fairly decent in the mix IMO.

Absolutely bob on usiir. 320kbs mp3s lose that high end sparkle so need a boost when mixing.

Yes WAVs are sent to the pressing houses for the engineers to master ready for pressing.

I do personally totally agree with you, mp3's even at a good rate just don't really cut it in comparison to lossless or vinyl to people that have a good ear for quality and decent equipment. I think too many people nowadays are so used to listening to music on their ipods (which are not good quality mp3 players) at 128 kbps with shit earphones, that they seem to think that is acceptable audio quality.

It's a shame that so many quality sets are uploaded into the members mixes area as 128 mp3's, it just totally puts me off having a listen.

Still absoloutely love this forum though.

Back
Top Bottom