303 compo?

weekend bodo! or ill try to get the samplepack sorted tonight, thread up tomorrow, but that is if im lucky and my world isnt in shambles when i get home.

im trying for tomorrow though, its going to be better if we kick off tomorrow i rekon

weekend bodo! or ill try to get the samplepack sorted tonight, thread up tomorrow, but that is if im lucky and my world isnt in shambles when i get home.

im trying for tomorrow though, its going to be better if we kick off tomorrow i rekon

Nice one, bodo! And please let it be clear to us if we are going to use VSTi, Standalones or if you're gonna put some 303 samples for us, pls!

what! standalone damn it, samplepack for drums and strings, record any vocals or industrial sounds you like. do what you want with anything (as in processing with the samples you record, make drones and whatever the hell else you want) but be prepared to explain or even recreate your procedure if challenged (as per usual, also this has never happened. at most we got some suspicious votes from accounts that was registered that same minute and had the same ip as the contestant voted for).
only rule is that it has to be dnb and it has to be 303 focused.

yeah I thought it all over and now I spit it out
and when I spit, I spit on those that I care less about, im on my way

Is there gonna be a time limit for this thing? I've been meaning to get round to doing a 303 D&B track for ages, could be the kick up the arse I need.

Can i use ABL2? Can i make my own beats? Can i use any other synths? So many questions! I guess logikz says only rule is must be 303-focussed so everything else is fine, right?

Is there gonna be a time limit for this thing? I've been meaning to get round to doing a 303 D&B track for ages, could be the kick up the arse I need.

Can i use ABL2? Can i make my own beats? Can i use any other synths? So many questions! I guess logikz says only rule is must be 303-focussed so everything else is fine, right?
don't worry. logikz will come with the rules and then we'll all know how it's going to be.

I don't have the time for this right now, but I've done several tracks using d16's Phoscyon for basslines similar to this:

Don't restrict yourself to just doing standard ravey acid stuff, there's a lot to be said for using the 303 as an actual bass synth. Have fun, and good luck to all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry guys, came home - life in shambles, samplepack and rules and thread will be ready this weekend, tomorrow with any luck! hang tight.

samplepack will consist of a bunch of single shot drum kits, a few breaks (some classics, some a little bit more obscure), some string samples, some bass samples, and maybe some keys or something. ill try and include a loop or two for the noobs in each category, but this samplepack wont be very noob friendly. the whole concept of the compo is not really noob friendly, even if we welcome all contestants, regardless of how long you been producing, veterans and novices alike.

sorry guys, came home - life in shambles, samplepack and rules and thread will be ready this weekend, tomorrow with any luck! hang tight.

samplepack will consist of a bunch of single shot drum kits, a few breaks (some classics, some a little bit more obscure), some string samples, some bass samples, and maybe some keys or something. ill try and include a loop or two for the noobs in each category, but this samplepack wont be very noob friendly. the whole concept of the compo is not really noob friendly, even if we welcome all contestants, regardless of how long you been producing, veterans and novices alike.

not wanting to be an arse, but could you include the key of the notes being played in the samples please? Because I can't sonically 'read' them.

not wanting to be an arse, but could you include the key of the notes being played in the samples please? Because I can't sonically 'read' them.

Voxengo Span, mate. Just stick one into the channel and find the fundamental of the notes being played. It'll probably be in natural minor key, so finding the scale won't be much of a problem, I think. Unless carl throw at us some non-usual scale like the hungarian minor, or the oriental minor, or the blues pentatonic.

I couldn't get Reaper to recognize Creakbox on Mac at all, apparently that version only works for non-Intel macs. I got the Muon Tau 10th anniversary to work in 32 bit Reaper, but 64bit doesn't see it at all.

I couldn't get Rebirth to install for Mac (Mountain Lion) or Windows 8. Apparently it requires older OS versions as well. Are there any other cross-platform standalones?

I liked the interface for Creakbox better but Tau seems to be the best bet. Can someone with Logic try it out? I seem to recall something about Logic hating 32 bit AUs these days? We can all use Reaper as a virtual stand-alone maybe.

ive pretty much got the samplepack ready, its got some surprises, but we need to agree on a synth.

@suhlin so were doing tau then? and its freeware and ready to go right? if one is to believe lizardoro

WOULD EVERYONE LIKE A LONG CHUNK OF VOCALS FROM A MOVIE OR AN ACAPELLA AS A PART OF THE SAMPLEPACK, SHOULD YOU NEED VOCALS SOMEWHERE? MAYBE FROM AN OLD SOUL SONG OR A SHAOLIN MOVIE?

ive pretty much got the samplepack ready, its got some surprises, but we need to agree on a synth.

@suhlin so were doing tau then? and its freeware and ready to go right? if one is to believe lizardoro

WOULD EVERYONE LIKE A LONG CHUNK OF VOCALS FROM A MOVIE OR AN ACAPELLA AS A PART OF THE SAMPLEPACK, SHOULD YOU NEED VOCALS SOMEWHERE? MAYBE FROM AN OLD SOUL SONG OR A SHAOLIN MOVIE?

Tau 10th anniversary edition is free if you like Muon's facebook page. I've gotten it to work in 32bit Reaper on OS X (Mountain Lion) and 64 Bit Reaper on Windows 8. Not sure how well it works for Logic. We could all use Reaper to do our 303 work and rewire or pull the results into our DAW of choice? And maybe allow Reason users to use the Silver Box combinator patch.

I had to open the Tau link in another window to get it to download, FYI. Otherwise it opened a blank page.

brilliant mate, great work, incidentally, i just found the same thing, as was gonna ask here if someone couldnt have a look, since i dont have facebook, but you already found it, so this is excellent! ill make sure to like their page with my online record labels facebook later this week.

would you mind shooting me a PM with the windows version?

and its a standalone, isnt it? thats the whole point, that its standalone, so it makes no difference what daw or os you use. or what, isnt it a standalone?
because if it is, we are pretty much ready! if it isnt, were going to have to resort to something like what you just sugggested there basically.

edit: and what about my question with the vocal sample? i put it in caps cos i need someones opinion!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom