3 hours spent last night... and this is what i came up with!

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix

first track... 'ripleys chase'... spent about 3 hours on this bad boy last night, pretty much from the ground up! Pretty pleased with it as i have been trying to make the honking like sound in it for ages and stumbled on this by accident when i dropped a patch over some existing patterns and automation! :D

intro is only there for context, i'm aware the build up to the drop is abit wank! :rinsed: , the drums don't really vary for the whole track etc etc

obviously is suffering from very little mixdown going on!

Comments please, mainly on the track as a whole rather than individual elements!

muchos thanks

what programme are you using? ive been tryna make that sound and have had no luck so far lol! :(, likin the track so far mate

ableton... and the synth is ableton's operator! oh, and thanks for the reply! anymore constructive criticism?

Besides the riff being repetitive you seem to be onto something. :) Looking forward to the final.

yeah, i know... i haven't got round to proper structure and mixing up the LFO rates and stuff... cheers for the kind words!

**EDIT** despite being repatative, i can't stop lsitening to it!

could people also let me know what system they are listening to it on and how it sounds for future mix down reference :not_worth

Last edited:
Besides the riff being repetitive you seem to be onto something. :) Looking forward to the final.

yep... sounding pretty wobbly indeed. nice use of operator btw. hell i cant ever get that thing to do what i want. (but thank god for reason/rewire.) some drum cutouts/filterouts, and a good mixdown, and TUUUNE. id go for the rolling intro on this one as opposed to a quiet one. dj friendly.

cheers.

i liked it once the bass comes in man. pretty dirty. before that the hats seemd too high passed so they were a bit weak and very fuzzy i found. but thats thanks to it streaming.

just work out a decent drop for the intro u know bit of whooosh noises ! then itll be sick.

agreed on all the comments! the drums were just thrown together to 'hold' the beat... no layers yet, so yeah way to much low and a hollow kick too!

intro I'm not sure on... i never make dj friendly, but i might use a break and hat intro to make the drop stand out? Anyway, early days... still need 2 find a sample to use in the intro, been trying to find some hits from the musical score of alien... hence the name ripleys chase!

cheers guys!

Hey Richie me old mucka......How do you go about making a bass sound like that? I've heard it a few times on various tracks and love it. I just cant seem to recreate it myself!

eq on the intro hats and the pads was awful, need some serious work and it lacks any real progression or creativity imo. where are you gonna take it? how is it gonna progress? amen did nothing for it either, you'd be better off using hats to get the high end frequencies you need

square waves that modulate each other and a sine wave for the low end... then get LFO to trigger the filter (either band pass or low pass)!

i learnt the basics from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ then pushed my own sound on it!

ps. this sound was an accident, i had allready made a similar one but then dropped a different patch i had made on it and this came out!

The one, "bwonh" sound that's the same over and over... if I were you, I'd mess around and pitch that thing up and down here and there.. and maybe some fx on some of those hits.

I imagine this'll be a lot cooler once you start adding more elements and tweaking the ones you've already got.

obviously, this is an idea. but i think you have something there. i can't really add too much past what has been said. just shape that bass and make sure the drums can keep up. in my opinion, a track like this benefits from BRUISING drumkits.

obviously, this is an idea. but i think you have something there. i can't really add too much past what has been said. just shape that bass and make sure the drums can keep up. in my opinion, a track like this benefits from BRUISING drumkits.

yep... bruising drums indeed! :D

eq on the intro hats and the pads was awful, need some serious work and it lacks any real progression or creativity imo. where are you gonna take it? how is it gonna progress? amen did nothing for it either, you'd be better off using hats to get the high end frequencies you need

thanks for the negative comments... nice to get some feedback to help make this better! :rinsed:

seriously though, you are right but your just telling me what i know! read my little spiel on the first post and you will understand... the songs structure is very basic... 4 different 'riffs' looped up for 8 bars each, the drum loop is 2 bars looped up... there is no variation at the end of 4,8,16 or 32 bars... the intro is just two layers of hats looped of a pointless sample

i just wanted peoples opinion on the idea for the project, but i guess yours is not like it?

Back
Top Bottom