3 deck sets!!!

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by lokki, Jun 25, 2006.

1. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

Anyone else ventured into the three deck teritory?

I just got myself a new 3 channel mixer and am getting another mk2 soon as pos'. Just wondered if many people had given it a crack.

I'm not thinking turntablism but rather more complicated progressive mixing style. I mainly mix liquid funk. Im not thinking mampi styole double drops and big build ups but rather a bukem-esque sort of style.

I went through a period of mixing on four decks with a mate..it completetly refreshed my love for the decks all over again!!! Cant wait to crack on with three decks...

if anyone has any advice or who has ventured in to this area befreo id be happy to hear your thoughts etc!..

(expect a mix up on here as soon as!)
    cheers mans:gpeace:

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I'd love to give this a go, but being really limited for space it's not an option at the moment, maybe soon though!

It seems to be becoming more standard though, both Friction and Andy C do it on the regular now.

3. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Whenever I do 3 decks, I use it for cueing the 3rd record in advance, mixing it in as the 2nd second record is finishing its mix with the 1st, for long continuous flow. And I also use it for scratching and beatjuggling in the mix ie. mixing two records together and using an identical copy of the tune mixing in to beatjuggle during the mix (y)

4. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

ive been known to dabble at this kinda thing :teeth:

5. Dj_Fozzybear

Dj_Fozzybear Greenpiece Records

I have done a couple of 3 deck sets a year or so ago. I found it fun and diverse but well hectic. My favourite is two people four decks!!! If you time it properly you can both play a set and just double drop each mix together!! (If that makes sense?)

6. mesh

mesh Active Member

ha Ive got as Greg Packer set from 1992 on 3 decks, hardcore mentalism man. genius.

I would like to get into it for exactly the technique Indi described, but have never done it. Would keep things lively no doubt.

7. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

I wanted to try it like i said, sort of continually flowing. I knw that that style would sort the sorta tunes im into.

Cant wait till my new deck arrives! lol!

:who_wants

8. 12 inch grinch

12 inch grinch Active Member

i got lovely intro on set with u droppin 3 tracks mate. rollin ,well what can i say ive tought u well havent i mate!

9. nickdawg

nickdawg nuthin but the dawg in me

3 deck mixing is fun as hell, it's really convenient cueing up two tracks while one is playing live. Works great for teasing, or for mixing in a 3rd track while the 2nd track is in the mix and the 1st track is just about to finish (so there is pretty much never one tune playing by itself). Although it is probably quite a bit easier to do this in my living room on my cheap Numark 3-channel mixer than it probably would be in a club with a huge soundsystem on a urei mixer with no EQ's or the ability to cue more than one channel at a time in my headphones :teeth:

10. Sponge

Sponge Member

Me and a few mates have done 3 deck sets before. we got 1 of us to mix as usual and then one of us would mix big choons in.

11. DJ£10Bag

DJ£10Bag Let's have a go on that.

I can remember setting up three decks and mashing it up quite badly. Certainly very handy for cueing up a killer track for an unexpected drop but when trying to beatmix all three tracks was where I made a fool of myself. Can't wait to try it again!

12. ed fiasco

ed fiasco Member

i like to use 3 decks but with a cdj or two instead of another vinyl deck, fun for teases and some nice flowing mixes. this is however very much an at home thing as i wouldn't feel that confident using 3 decks in a club. at the night i used to play at though we did a drum and bass set after the disablists and got to use their set up - 5 decks and 3 mixers! good for mixing, teases and scratching/accapellas at the same time!

13. sook

sook Member

im lucky enough to have 3 decks in the
    living room ....

14. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

3 dex=pleasure
    4 dex 2 peeps=total satisfaction:shades:

15. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

i've had some great fun mixing 3 sources (not necessarily 3 decks) i had a mate mixing on ableton and then me putting a record in over the top (he was playing some percussive loops and mixing those) and then mixing another record over the top of that, we had his mix in the background with a phat double drop over the top, twas wicked!! :teeth:

also another good one is to get some acapella MCing and mixing that in over the top of a couple of tunes mixing on your other 2 turntables, sort of live remix style (this is where i find i need a 4th deck cos when i get 2 tunes playing well together with the MCing over the top i need something to drop back in when 1 of the choons ends! great fun but starting to run out of space for turntables now!! and i need a mixer with a 4band EQ - chores:( )

16. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

yeah its definately the way forward. If only to have that extra deck for getting a bit creative.

Been thnking about a laptop too...!

Ive been trying to mix more varieties of music into myu sets as well. but its tough. it takes a lot of effort to get it right but its much more rewarding.

17. MadChoonz

MadChoonz I'm Rich Biatch!

Yes I hear it's extreamly hectic.

18. DJDarkside

DJDarkside Prepare For Darker Days

ive been using my cdj as my 3rd deck and i does make thing hectic but i enjoy the ability to play as much music as possible

19. ill1

ill1 Member

I have meseed with three at home, but wouldn't say I'm ready for the public to hear it. My boy and I have a four table set scheduled for a party in August. This will be the first time for us in public on four and after a few sessions I gotta say I can't wait.

20. bloodfire

bloodfire Member

lol i cant mix that good with 2 decks all this 3 or 4 decks biznizz is way out of my league but would love to try it
    sounds fucking sick