Drum & Bass 3 Deck mixing.

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Agent Smith, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Just need some thoughts on the way i'm approaching 3 deck mixing.

The way I've been doing it is for example:-

Tunes on 1st and 2nd deck, double them. Let that mix roll out for 16 bars, and on the 3rd deck cue up the next tune from 16 bars from the drop. Bring in the tune on the 3rd deck and as i'm bringing that fader in trying to bring one of the other tunes out to make for the idea that there is consistently two tunes in the mix at one time.
    The only other way I have got comfortable with on 3 decks is having 1 tune rolling out, then on the 2nd deck use a tune that has an initial 16 (or 32 bar) breakdown, switch to that, then on the 3rd deck doubling a tune with what you have just switched to...hope this is making sense, its been confusing the hell outta me

How do you guys approach 3 deck mixing?
    Feels like a lot of preplanning goes into 3 deck mixes, or from my point of view it seems like you need to be 1 or 2 steps ahead of what your doing, which I am struggling with a little.

I feel quite comfortable beatmatching; but being early days on 3 turntables my eqing hasn't been up to scratch as i'm seemingly concentrating on the next tune I want to mix or digging records out etc etc.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice? I appreciate going from 2 to 3 decks is a big move, but feel I have the technical ability to do it well with practice.

2. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

For a long time I used to just treat it as a 2 deck mix, and on those occasions where you would need a 3rd for ease of cueing i'd just use it for that. Then skills progressed and it got a bit more technical. Definitely right when you say be 1 or 2 steps ahead of yourself, always good to think a couple of tunes ahead if you can. Not always easy though when it gets hectic and you find yourself rushing. I generally just try take it as mental as I can (with a more upbeat mix especially) and if I feel it getting bit crazy ill just switch into a nice break in the intro of a new tune and start fresh with plenty of tune ahead of you to work with. gives you nice time to breath and just pre-think what you're going to do next. Many different ways though really. Just got for it.. But yeah best advice I can give is to give yourself time to think every now and then with a nice switch or whatever. Still got much to learn myself though. good thread :)

Agent Smith likes this.
  3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

No rules to this really, i'd do exactly what you're doing and build up the complexity as you get better. I regularly do like 10 tunes dropped every 32bars now but I never did that to start with. I plan pretty much all my sets but I know well in advance what time im playing etc, dont really mix at home.

Also as you said, I wouldnt worry about EQin for now, just vibe of what you're doing and deal with that later.

Agent Smith likes this.
  4. Agent Smith

Nice one Muz. Like the idea of just switching it up to something else and giving you a bit more time, even if it is on 3 decks I guess it doesn't need to consistently be all out carnage. Big ups for leaving your thoughts will be taking them on board. (y)

Sweet Russ. The EQing bits have been grating on me a little, from having so much time over the mixer on 2 decks I've gone to having little to no time to worry about EQing.

Think a little more time will have to go into planning what tunes to use, as trying to freestyle 3 decks aint the one!

Nice one chaps (y)

5. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

When it comes to EQing, when i've brought the 3rd tune into a mix, i EQ the one of 3 I plan on bringing out (no more than 32 bars on, usually 16) right down. particularly highs as I find thats what make 3 deck mixes sound clashy even when beatmatched perfect. Have to be careful with the bass too of course but I try keep the mids still nicely in the mix and gradually fade/filter the tune out.

Russ is right though, there are no rules and just go with the flow and what you feel comfortable with. Also if you are even slightly unconfident with the having the tunes beatmatched with 3 tunes rolling, don't bother with it, stick to 2 with a switch. Its not easy trying to correct a 3 deck mix without making it worse!

6. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeah I know what you mean, it gets fucking complicated to start with but the more you do it, the more you'll just do it without thinking. It takes me ages to get a 3 deck recording right, have to practise it hard before even considering recording, but it's sweet when it works

7. Agent Smith

Nice one again muz. (y)

I think the recording element of it may take a while but I will get there eventually. Cheers guys, lots of thoughts to take on board for a session tonight.

Big ups.

8. Afek_One

Afek_One Well-Known Member

Using the filters to EQ really helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Dropping the highs of the tune that's been in the longest is a really good approach too.

9. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

I use the xone filters and so I don't get confused about what tune is assigned to what filter I generally use decks 1 and 3, then deck 2 for teases. That's what I saw mish mash do once and it works. Big ups for jumping onto 3 decks, once you get comfortable with it you'll never wanna mix on 2 again

10. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

I like getting 3 vocal tunes and dropping them all together to see just how horrible a mix can sound...

My favourite being shake ur body > champion dj > tarantula

Really go in on the crossfader cut ups and filters for maximum cancer levels.

After you've listened to that for an hour everything else you try sounds sublime.

:)

11. Agent Smith

Sweet Dan - need to invest in a A&H next I think.
    Completely agree about going back to 2 - proper got the bug for 3 decks at the mo. Interesting you say about using 1 deck for teases, I've literally got a stack of old/classic stuff under 1 deck which has been used just for teases.

Will hopefully post up my efforts soon.

(y) :rolf:

12. Grade

Grade Active Member

I like using 3 sometimes but I find that selection tends to go down the pan a bit unless you plan everything out and rely on tried and tested combos, you don't have much time to think about what to play next etc
    And generally it ends up being relentless double drops and teases which is good for a while but can get old

Ain't nothing wrong with rolling out on 2 decks still, but 3 is more impressive and provides a constant flow of entertainment

13. Agent Smith

I'm with you completely.

Just feel after 5 odd years of mixing 2 decks it was time to step it up. You can still create a constant flow of entertainment on 2 decks if you are a good DJ.

14. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

2 types of 3 deck mixing imo. Casual and hectic! Can have a 3 deck mix sound just like a solid 2 deck one but the 3rd will be beneficial to the DJ for cueing up allowing the mix to be in for longer if you see what i'm saying? Im bloody useless at describing this sort of thing haha

15. Marthian

Marthian Member

I agree on this and understand what your trying to say.
    I'm not fast enough/good enough with mixing yet to create a hectic mix so the 3'd deck is more used for making it easier for myself with longer cue times and mixing a little bit faster then with two decks.

There are some good pointers here for getting more out of 3 deck mixing though, should practice more. :)

16. johneysvk

johneysvk tnuc

that's how i do it, haven't had much practice on 3 decks yet. although i tried some triple drops and it was pretty crazy