DnB 3 DECK MIXING

Memro

i've been getting into mixing with 3 decks which is a lot of fun, but i find myself doing something like this:

first 2 minutes - 3 or 4 or maybe 5 tunes using 3 decks all the time
next 4 minutes - 1 or 2 tunes often with only 1 tune playing
another 2 minutes of quick 3 deck
next 10 minutes with very slow mixing while i look for tunes for the next little bit, often leaving one tune in for a good 3 minutes or so
etc etc, you get the idea.

it just seems to naturally happen, so has anyone got any tips for keeping it fairly consistent? friction, andy, mistanoize, amc etc etc manage to have a steady flow of tunes, and obviously that's a different class of djs but i'm wondering what they do to keep it so steady, rather than really blocky like when i mix

so it'd be great if you could just put any tips you can think of down, such as cueing a tune from 16 bars etc, i mix mainly on vinyl so i can't edit the tunes so they have short intros, but i can usually find the necessary cue points

thanks a lot

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

:Dalso, feel free to post anything you like to do when mixing 3 decks :D

5 tunes in the first 2 mins? i do single mixes that last longer.
in my opinion this is reason why so many 3 deck mixes make me cringe.
quality not quantity. slow it down a bit, give your selection more thought and get some rolling mixes on the go, not just quick transitions.

but thats just my preference, if you want it fast paced for the whole set then prepare yourself, get your tunes in order, maybe have someone dish them out for you, or even better get a friend that can dj and practise together.

plan ajead for a few mixes then try to have in mind the kind of tunes you want to mix so you don't spend ages looking for them. Also just tease a few rather than going for constant double drops

i do tease quite a bit, but i probably should more. and yeah well as for selection i tend to pick out 3 or 4 tunes i know to be in the same key, mix them fairly quickly then i end up at a loss of idea as to what to mix next, maybe i should just plan a bit more!

How well do you know your tunes as well? if not very then get to know them inside out that way when you have a tune playing you should be able to think of a number of tunes that would probably go well with it straight away

Hope this helps but i also agree with teddy, too much going on can be a bad thing! when my mate first got a third deck we used to try and mix as many as poss even 3tunes at once sometimes until we realized this doesn't normally sound good!

know your tunes. i like having 2 going then dropping the 3rd to double with the second letting you beatmatch and get the tune in with the drums of the first if the breakdown has no drums.

err slightly long winded

5 tunes in the first 2 minutes made me lol pretty hard! Quick mixing is fine and all that, but having 3 tunes playing together for any length of time never sounds good IMO... I'll only ever have 3 playing if I'm bringing one in and taking one out, also keeping 3 tunes in time is a bitch

hahaha yeah i may have been strongly exaggerating i'm not quite sure, i don't really take much notice of the time, so that schedule, so to speak, is fairly rough. and same i never keep 3 tunes in, i've tried and it's such a nightmare keeping them in time i just gave up, i only have it when i'm bringing on in like you say
has anyone got any sort of general tips for more exciting 3 deck mixing anyway?

Some DJ's need to realise just because you CAN use three decks, doesnt mean you SHOULD

:word:

I've heard some mixes over the years where people just do teases for the sake of it.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Shouldn't need tips to make mixing exciting IMO

Imagine what your mixing would be like if you never met me ;)

Exactly. Sometimes it's good to let tunes breathe rather than just whacking something else over it all the time

I think tracks such as DJ Friendly Unit Shifter are ideal for 3 deck mixes. The reduction of bass modulation and the introduction of melodic elements/pads after 32 bars that lasts for 16 then straight back into the rowdyness for another 32. This enables you to bring in another track during that 16 which will drop work well with the next 32.

Floating Zero is another good example

I think tracks such as DJ Friendly Unit Shifter are ideal for 3 deck mixes. The reduction of bass modulation and the introduction of melodic elements/pads after 32 bars that lasts for 16 then straight back into the rowdyness for another 32. This enables you to bring in another track during that 16 which will drop work well with the next 32.

Yep. I remember when Friction used to drop Unit Shifter then would tease in Facade VIP after that 16 bar switch for the last 32. Was a large mix. But constantly banging in tunes just for the sake of it gets a little yawnsome after a while

Yep. I remember when Friction used to drop Unit Shifter then would tease in Facade VIP after that 16 bar switch for the last 32. Was a large mix. But constantly banging in tunes just for the sake of it gets a little yawnsome after a while

I like mixes like my coffee. A smooth blend.

Although saying that I tend to just cue tunes 16 bars before the drop which isn't the smoothest style of mixing

Heist - night shift is another.

Back
Top Bottom