20k - Dark Minimal Set

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by 20k, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 20k

20k fuck head

I dunno I think I'm doing a monthly thing now. Take a listen and tell me what you think :)

Stray - When it Rains (Intro)
    Dub Phizix - Illusions
    Amit - Driller Killer
    Dub Phizix ft. Skittles - I'm a Creator
    Hybris - Raindance
    Stray ft. Frederick Robinson - Thumbprint
    Dub Phizix ft. Fox - Never Been
    DBR UK ft. A.M.C - Dub King
    Hybris - The Cleaner
    Enei ft. DRS - Count to Ten
    Mutated Forms - Feels Like
    Stray - Break Your Legs
    Rockwell - 4U
    Jubei ft. Flowdan - Say Nothin'
    Stray - Timbre VIP
    ASC - Porcelain
    Kasra & Enei - So Real
    Spectrasoul ft. Terri Walker - Light in the Dark
    Ivy Lab - Oblique VIP
    Rockwell - Aria
    Stray - When it Rains (Outtro)

2. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

looks hench! will have a listen today

3. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

just finished this mate, originally drawn in by the track selection which is on point. it was an enjoyable listen for sure, can't fault the mixing at all but i think the way you brought in tracks and quickly cut them out didn't help it to feel like a live mix, felt a bit more like a tune showcase if you know what i mean with mixing tunes out at the second breakdown etc. i'll def check the next in the series if you're making it a monthly one (y)

4. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

Mmm same, & the title.

When It Rains is SUCH a sweet tune + it makes for a nice intro. Illusions rolled well off the back of When It Rains to ramp up the energy of the mix slightly. Vocals of Driller Killer ease in to Illusions for the first of what may be many switches from reading Jacks comment. Creator bleeps in nicely to Driller Killer, but again, another switch. Would have loved to hear those two mixed as I feel they would have worked a treat. No time to finish the last sentence & Raindance is intro-ing, couple of little slips & rewinds in there that probably didn't need to be on the recording. Thumbprint vibes a treat into Raindance. Never Been is in for the breakdown to Thumbprint. Dub King came in half way through a 32 bar section. Nothing major (slightly unorthodox), it just breaks up the structure of the mix. It is in time, but out of sync. Brockie used to be rife for this type of mix. But fair play for playing Dub King as its the first members mix I have heard it in. The Cleaner - Count To Ten was blended well. Nice One for playing Feels Like too :) even if it came out of nowhere. Feels Like - Break Your Legs had all the ingredients to be an interesting mix & it was. The melodic 4U came in well of the back of Break Ya Legs. Would have liked to hear the mix with 4U & Say Nothin, as it might have sounded like Say Nothin (Rockwell rmx 2) but no luck with another switch. Timber vip came in well, but didn't really suit what had appeared in the mix before. Porcelain bounced in nicely on the beat of Timber vip for a smooth blend. Flavours of So Real stepping in to the tail end of the first part in Porcelain. Light In The Dark also stepped well off the back of So Real. Oblique vips vibes came in well + the mildly ticking notes of Aria eased in with the ambient melodies very well

A few of the mixes from one tune to the other, the volume levels were slightly differing. Nothing major, but you don't want one tune to overpower the other, of one to sit back in the mix. The tunes with vocals are mainly the ones I mean. Also, I wouldn't use the same tune twice in a mix, no matter how much you like it, even for the intro & outro. There was a lot of use of some effect fader when bringing tunes out of the mix, which is alright, but it sounded a bit over used to me.

Very. I know a lot of dj's do this in their sets if they play out, but keeping the 'mix' in with both tunes playing for studio mixes I think is a hell of a lot better + shows more personality from the dj as opposed to plain switching every mix. A nice listen right the way through though

5. 20k

20k fuck head

Thanks for the advice from both of you :) I'll stop switching so much for future mixes. I was supposed to mix Driller Killer with Creator, but I switched on impulse aha

6. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Selection was wicked - everything seemed to work well, just a shame a lot of them cut as I would have liked to have heard the mixes roll out for longer. Was good to hear Stray - Break Your Legs again as well, reminds me that I need to re-burn that to CD. Mixing was tight, can't really fault that at all - just thought tried to do a little bit too much. Thought that filter was a little over used, and also the cueing thing that you did with creator and something else - would potentially sound good if it was exact and maybe not so prominent in the mix. Enjoyed it though mate, I look forward to next month's mix...big up!