lokki

JUNGLIST FROM DEYA
VIP Junglist
Just thought I’d start up a little retrospective of 2007 thread. It be a touch too early but I got a few mins at work so thought why not..

This year has seen an influx of wicked new producers and in my opinion a sign that things are again on the up in terms of really good music in drum n bass. We have the dancefloor thing doing well, jump up is enormous right now. (god knows why…lol) . But also more importantly certain producers have begun to switch things up a bit and start thinking musically about dnb taking into consideration the depth and musicality in the music rather than just simply creating something to rinse out too, gaining the music a little bit of credibility and steering it away from the dark scary happy-hardcore shaped abyss.

It was really nice to see the man like Goldie show he’s still one of the most prolific producers in the game by putting out a ridisculously sick album under his Ruffige Kru guise. Ive heard a few new tracks from his new artist album and they too are amazing!

And the now, more than established leaders of the new(ish) skool High Contrast and Commix both killed it with phenomanol albums and consistently excellent pieces of music on Headz and Hospital..(the two best labels of 07??)

As far as pushing things forward and really serious production went in 2008 it was all about Lynx, Break, Icicle, Atlantic Collection, Fierce, Commix, Goldie, Heist, Lomax, Calyx, Teebee (although I did find their album slightly over-hyped for what it was), Black Sun Empire, NoisiaTelemetrik, Sci Phi and High Contrast.

Best night of the year had to be Hospital @ Heaven in Sept…particularly the Detonate room…heavy heavy heay! Bailey and Doc Scott killed it. Or Possible Break, Fierce and Randal at Black Swan Brsitol…..perfect music!

To balance it out….
On a slightly negative tip..what the fuck happened to V / Chronic etc this year? Clipz put out some total tripe...And Ant Miles’ album was disappointingly unexciting.

Worse night…probably have to say Random Concept at Bristol….too many MC’s too many crap short sets (how many tiomes can Game Over VIp get caned??)…no girls….Ended up leaving 3 hours in…

Also really pissed off at the shit negative narrow minded reaction to the whole Pendulum thing……when will people learn eh?

But overall wicked year!

Next year will be better…
Looking forward to Shock Out, Telemetrik album and the new Goldie album for a start as well as Die’s liquid label putting out some decent stuff.

Last edited:
Well we obviously have different tastes!!!

Jump up is doing well mainly because the tunes that are coming out are all absolute smashers! Hazard is rippin it up with every tune he makes! Chase n Status are gonna be ones to watch, i can see Taxman comin out with some excellent goods and alot of new up n coming artists tht i know have been snapped up by the likes of hazard, mickey finn & andy c!

Neg points of the year: lack of club events in the spring/summer due to the festivals. finally sampling the london scene only to be let down as it seems to be full of part timers!

Good: Random Concept @ Air, Birmingham rasing the bar at every event makin them the 3 best events this year that ive been to!

Chase n Status WERE the ones to wtach lol...i reckon next year Telemetrik, Breakage, Lomax and Sci Phi....

Wasn’t having a go at jump up..just saying its good that people in the 'mainstream' are thinking intelligently about making dnb again and not aiming stuff just for the dance floor.

Anyweay lets focus on the positive yo!

Last edited:
Chase & Status keep rising up, also nice work from G Dub & Taxman, Break making some interesting cuts as well.

Set of the year so far for me was Friction & Andy C w/ MC Fun @ Concorde 2, Brighton
Tune of the year so far: Chase & Status - Hurt You

What do u mean wot's happened to chronic this year?

Monoman - Dirty Games (G Dub Remixes)
Ninebar - So Twisted/Stand Up
D Product - Floston Paradise/Anything

the first 2 would have to be in my vinyl selection of the year and youngman is about to bring out the "ready for the bassline" EP

i dont know why every1 wants this new soulful, deep drum n bass
heard disco dodo by lynx the other day & considering the hype he's got this year i thought the tune was shite
weak dnb is shit, i don't jus listen to jump up but its got to have sum bass and a decent drop or else its not dnb its jus a tune made at around 175BPM
not tryin to stir shit but if i wanted to listen to something thats deeper, more meaningful and soulful than dnb then i wud prob put on hip-hop

heard disco dodo by lynx the other day & considering the hype he's got this year i thought the tune was shite
weak dnb is shit, i don't jus listen to jump up but its got to have sum bass and a decent drop or else its not dnb its jus a tune made at around 175BPM
not tryin to stir shit but if i wanted to listen to something thats deeper, more meaningful and soulful than dnb then i wud prob put on hip-hop
how did i know this was gonna turn into a my dnb is better than your dnb arguement.
Lynx has switched things up brilliantly. the tune got hyped because it was a breath of fresh air. Really interesting and creative.

What's 'weak dnb'???

its called variation.
think about it thers loadsa different styles of rock an shit like that.
so wats wrong wit different styles of dnb.
if it was all jump up it would soon get very irritating and repetitive, although i love my jump up sumtimes its nice 2 hear sumfin different.

Biggest tunes for 07 for moi:

1. High Contrast - If We Ever
2. Chase n Status - Hurt You
3. Break – Drone
4. ICICLE – WEAK MOMENTS
5. Down like that remix
6. BSE – Anyone There
7. Commix – Be True
8. Panties Remix
9. Lynx – Disco Dodo
10. Ruffige Kru – Malice In Wonderland

And also Shock Out and Telemetrik – Cosmos
…but that might not be out this year….

Last edited:
What do u mean wot's happened to chronic this year?

Monoman - Dirty Games (G Dub Remixes)
Ninebar - So Twisted/Stand Up
D Product - Floston Paradise/Anything

the first 2 would have to be in my vinyl selection of the year and youngman is about to bring out the "ready for the bassline" EP

dan how can u say disco dodo is shite! those are some seriously militant beats, what a tune, shows you that sometimes simple is the most effective, i love the drum beat espesh, sometimes overlooked by producers too much.

this year defs been big for jump up and liquid, hazard smashin it with mr happy and commix with be true.

Personally i think the producer to look out for the most next year is hazard, with tunes like killers don't die, machette, western riddim and skankers in the pipeline who knows what other dancefloor smashers he's gonna release, i really can't wait tbh.

i already said i dont jus listen to jump up and in my opinion a decent set will have a fewer liquid tunes thrown in, and i do enjoy the techstep remixes recently (love that bloc party 1)

i've been listening to dnb since around 2002/2003, started mixing in 2005 and i like to think i have a fairly decent knowledge of tunes from over the last few years but i got fed up of going down my SU bar for dnb night and sitting there for 2 hours not recognising a single tune, and none of them made u feel anythin! for me its more lifeless.
a whole set is jus background music in my opinion.
u need tunes that are gonna make ppl get up and dance rather than sit there tinkin about how deep and soulful the mixing is
sorry if i keep goin on but its not really a go at lynx more a go at the amount of ppl that are gettin tune's released that in my opinion are not worth the money

on a lighter note i fukin love what break is doin & heist has been good this year
roll on 2008

i dunno wot ur thinking alz!??!?!?

then again u bought audio zoo 3 for the wrong tune!

Such a typical crap argument 'yeah i only like dnb that people get up and dance too’. Do you think everyone at Hospital or Shogun sits on the floor stroking their chins?

I feel sorry for you.

Oh and can I add Ladies night to my top tunes!...

THANK YOU!!! At last someone agrees with me!!!

Right im not saying you have to like Disco Dodo at all….but….

Disco Dodo is a very important tune! Probably the most significant of 07. This is because it has expanded what is possible within the confines of dnb, and challenged people as to what dnb actually is. Its was showing that dnb doesn’t have to be arranged in the same way. The bass can come from a different place in the tune and the energy to get you moving doesn’t have to come down to the speed of the beats. The way that tune was received was great to see. People are still open to new ideas.

In terms of significance and impact on the scene Disco Dodo’s effects on the scene will I think be as large as ‘Vault’ was. I’m not saying you have to like those tunes but both had huge impacts on the scene in terms of creativity, and challenging what is possible. If everyone continues to conform to a set format the music becomes stale and dies.

In five years time when people look back its gonna be Disco Dodo that is mentioned not say, Mr Happy for example...that is a fact!

Anyway lets not tuen this into a pro / against disco dodo thread,…lol.

how did i know this was gonna turn into a my dnb is better than your dnb arguement.

Its a rule of nature that a discussion over how curry makes you go to the toilet, between junglists, will turn into a dnb vs dnb argument.

Junglists are worse than Poles in being argumentative. Polish junglists are the worst possible.

Back
Top Bottom