2 MICS & 3 DECKS?!!!

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
Okay so, I have one Pioneer DJM 800 mixer, 3 Technics 1210 decks and 2 Shure SM 58 Mics and I want to use them all at the same time ...

The problem I have with the DJM 800 is that in order to use and EQ the 2nd mic via the 1/4" jack input, it must be controlled via the "sub mic / phono" input on the mixers 4th channel, which is also the 3rd channel on the mixer with a phono input through which I can use a 3rd deck

So basicly, I can only use one or the other as they can both only be used through exactly the same input

So I came up with the idea of getting an XLR "SPLITTER", so that I could run 2 Mics through the same XLR channel allowing the 3rd deck to be used through the spare phono channel

BUT ... MY QUESTION IS ... when running 2 mics through 1 XLR input on the mixer via the splitter, is the db (gain) level likely to be too high and shoot straight into the red when both mics are being used at the same time? Or will the mixer "condense" the signal from both mics into 1 safe and managable signal? After all, the signal from both mics, after being split, is being routed to the same input?

Or, would the signal from one Mic cancel the other out when both are used at the same time?

Or, would it work perfectly? lol

Somebody out there must have the answers! Cheers

Last edited:
not a clue but i imagine it wouldn't be that much or a problem if you sit about for 10mins before checking out levels and getting something relativky safe.
if you're just knocking about in your bedroom, it'd be ok right?
unless it's for a club/party or summin.

Okay so, I have one Pioneer DJM 800 mixer, 3 Technics 1210 decks and 2 Shure SM 58 Mics and I want to use them all at the same time ...

The problem I have with the DJM 800 is that in order to use and EQ the 2nd mic via the 1/4" jack input, it must be controlled via the "sub mic / phono" input on the mixers 4th channel, which is also the 3rd channel on the mixer with a phono input through which I can use a 3rd deck

So basicly, I can only use one or the other as they can both only be used through exactly the same input

So I came up with the idea of getting an XLR "SPLITTER", so that I could run 2 Mics through the same XLR channel allowing the 3rd deck to be used through the spare phono channel

BUT ... MY QUESTION IS ... when running 2 mics through 1 XLR input on the mixer via the splitter, is the db (gain) level likely to be too high and shoot straight into the red when both mics are being used at the same time? Or will the mixer "condense" the signal from both mics into 1 safe and managable signal? After all, the signal from both mics, after being split, is being routed to the same input?

Or, would the signal from one Mic cancel the other out when both are used at the same time?

Or, would it work perfectly? lol

Somebody out there must have the answers! Cheers

The DJM800 has 2 separate mic channels. They aren't tied in with any phono channels at all. As you can see on the left hand side of the mixer. The EQ below the mic level pots will probably EQ both mics at the same time. Just get an XLR to 1/4" jack cable for your second mic. I can't understand how you can use the 4th channel as a mic channel as the 4th channel only has inputs for a deck and a line input.

djm%20800.jpg

Last edited:
i reckon he's got a djm600 if he's talking about what he's talking about.

I think you're right there riisu. In which case the XLR splitter will work fine. There shouldn't be any issues with the signal level from the mics as long as you set the levels before hand, like riisu suggested.

you can plug 1/4" jacks into XLR inputs just push it in the middle

only xlr "combi-jacks". but yea.

and as for the splitter thing, it'l be fine but, using both mics at the same time will increase the volume and eat up headroom. you may struggle to get a really strong level without some clipping. just get a good gain structure going on and you'l be fine. ie keeeping trims down and amps high. hope thats some help.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback guys it's been really helpful and much appreciated

Yeah sorry my bad I've got a DJM 600 not a DJM 800

Like it's been suggested I'm just gonna have to try and an engineer some kind of optimum gain structure between the trim of each of the deck channels and the 2 mics going into the single xlr channel

Luckily I've got a very powerful amp so it shouldn't be too difficult I hope

Thanks again everyone :wave:

Back
Top Bottom