2 Man Mixing

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by dizzledee, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

B2B Mixing

Me and my mate have come to the conclusion that whilst mixing together (Inebriant-free) has its plus-points, we can never really muster the enthusiasm needed to keep it up for long enough to string a mix together.

Mixing solo always seems to promote longevity and the kind of mindset needed for outputting our best work (maybe the creative freedom helps).

At the moment we are trying to get 5 tunes in each before the other takes over rather than our standard 3 on 3 off.

As we fully intend to play sets together we were wondering if anyone else can relate and how you would maybe go about putting together a two person set.

Spafe.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

Sounds like the pair of you haven't been mixing for long enough tbh.
    Even if you played 1 track each I don't see why it would ever hold u back.
    Know your tunes and know your mates tunes too. While they are cueing up you should be looking through your tracks and deciding what to play. Off the cuff mixing is a skill. Practice practice practice, know ur tunes!
    Also remember not every mix needs to be a double drop in the same format everyone else does 90% of the time. Switch it up and pull off some random clean mixes.
    Hope that helps

3. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

I can see where your coming from with tune knowledge, I don't know my mates tunes etc, mad time needs to be invested in it!

And I agree with the clean tune thing, took me a while to stop double dropping everything but it improves the mix vastly.

Cheers

4. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

with mixing, time is everything. patience is a virtue, young padawan

5. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

I mix with other people quite a lot, I like it when you're vibing off eachother's stuff, getting hyped over something you're creating together, dropping suggestions for what tunes to drop next and shit like that. Also gives you more control of the FX and stuff. If I'm mixing with someone it's usually my brother who's always borrowing my kit, we think quite alot alike and when we get properly zoned we're like a single organism tweaking filter and gates and mixing in tunes with perfect precision using our temporary hivemind to pool our mental resources together.

I've been mixing a bit with a mate as well, he's not that experienced and is always pushing his tunes louder and louder but he has good taste and we have great fun messing about.

I agree you don't get the same hype from it, but you get a different hype from it which I really enjoy.

6. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Yeah, this entirely. I love having the thought that goes through your head when the other guy drops a tune you have an awesome mix for. Then im just grinning til ive pulled it off.

7. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

This!

works the other way aswell, always interesting when you get left with something you wouldn't normally go for

8. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Its that "i have to show you this" grin lol.

Yeah exactly, forces you to experiment a bit more. Always good to have a rough outline of what the other guys going to play though.

EDIT: can we change the thread title to like "b2b performances". The title of this thread almost has me facepalming.

9. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

Aha, I can probably manage that.... although you sure you wouldn't prefer '2 guys 2 decks?' :p

I get ya all on the, (shit can't wait to show you this moment) in fact some of the best mixes are when neither of us will even think about letting the other catch a glimpse of the next record/ track.

Problem with me and my mate is he's deep into his Tech and I'm a fiend for Dancefloor, instead of matching the vibe I sometimes can't stop myself taking it somewhere completely different!

But yet again, a better tune knowledge would be go most of the way to counteracting this. Just need to get my hands on that dammed serato and stop constantly using a collection which is not my own!

10. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

If your clashing styles i recomend maybe having a chat with him and saying "right, techy stuff towards the 30-40 min mark, and keep it dancefloor til then" or something. Just a bit of planning (not too deep planning but just a bit) can help a tonne. Switching styles every 2 tunes sounds pretty terrible imo when i hear people do it out, i like to be taken on a journey at a rave, progressing through styles/subgenres etc, rather than be tossed back and forth between 2 subgenres lol.

11. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

me and my buddys used to do this all the time back in uk.... smoke a couple, take turns well the others puffing, then its like "3 songs each" then while ur on ur like "just one more..... just another (7 songs later) one more..." its jokes

12. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

hahaha 'one more'

fucking standard!!!!

13. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

Completely agree with what Forau said about constantly switching styles in a mix. It really helps if you have similar tastes. A good example of b2b mixing is the Mob Tactics duo, whilst one of them is pulling off a perfect EQ the other will be adding that something extra with various effects which sometimes isn't possible when you're mixing alone. B2B performances are the way forward!

14. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

Similar taste helps. B2B generally pushes you to play different tunes though which is always cool, bit of a clash going on.

I sometimes play 2 people - 4 decks which is wicked, last time we did it got through i think 70 tunes in the hour.

15. johneysvk

johneysvk tnuc

i only played b2b a few times, but i think it's great fun, 1 for 1 especially

16. Myles Taylor

Myles Taylor The Inside bloke.

'One more' haha

Shatner's Bosom likes this.
  17. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Mish Mash, Myself, Danwell, Merlin and a few other often do a 4+ hour B2B every now and then. Its quite fun although we end up playing the same tunes twice.

18. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

Yeah 4 hours each

19. dizzledee

dizzledee equinox

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  20. jones-e

jones-e Junglist