1st time playin out!!

Standby

nahmean
:sixty_nin

yo doods

got my first set (in a club) comin up on tues in a small venue in leeds, and was wonderin if any of you lot have any suggestions/tips/helpful info you could share. dont really know what to expect if u know what i mean!!

come on peeps, what was ure first time like? :teeth:

Expect to get stage fright. Basicly what happens is you get nervous, your face may turn red (a reaction to being embarrased... weather your embarrased or not), and your hands may shake. On the bright side this should only last for 5 to 10 minutes and then you should feel like your in your room playing records (unless of course the sound system has issues, then it will be an unpleasent experience). Of course if your not getting paid then theres a good chance you'll be grinding your teeth through the whole thing just because of that.

i think the sound system in the place i'm playin at is pretty good, but there's always a chance it'll fuck up i spose. i am gettin paid for it, shit all though but cant complain.

cheers though!!

Standby said:
i think the sound system in the place i'm playin at is pretty good, but there's always a chance it'll fuck up i spose. i am gettin paid for it, shit all though but cant complain.

cheers though!!

good luck!

Standby said:
:sixty_nin

yo doods

got my first set (in a club) comin up on tues in a small venue in leeds, and was wonderin if any of you lot have any suggestions/tips/helpful info you could share. dont really know what to expect if u know what i mean!!

Pay attention to the crowd, see which records make them react and use this to pick the next records, after a few records you'll see how easy it can be. If there's no crowd, just play whatever you want. And enjoy yourself, if the crowd can see your having a good time, it'll hype them up too

roballenby said:
good luck!

thanks man :)

Indi said:
Pay attention to the crowd, see which records make them react and use this to pick the next records, after a few records you'll see how easy it can be. If there's no crowd, just play whatever you want. And enjoy yourself, if the crowd can see your having a good time, it'll hype them up too

nice one bruvva!!

remember to breathe !! look around lots at the crowd, then pick a tune ... have a blast, you might get nervous but everyone does and you feel wicked afterwards.

Props for getting a set :rave:

Few tings ive learnt while playing out, hope there is something that can be of use:

Dont plan your set - its all good with a few well-suited records, but if you spin off into 5 records or so, and you dont get one of the mixes in right, it could put you off-flow.

Be confident with your mixes - If you bounce around like the booth, you definitley gonna get into it more - for the first few mixes keep your eyes inside the booth an you aint gonna get phazed!

Approach with caution! - dont bring the record in to quiet/loud, coz you dont know how loud it is on the system that the crowd are hearing. If you aint 100% sure that cheeky double-drop is right, dont attempt it!

Enjoy it - you worked your arse of to get this set i bet (I do!), whatever happens dont get pissed off with yourself - im sure you’ll have a few mates there, GET ’EM ALL DOWN THE FRONT! feed off of your mates, an get to be rowdy as fook, itll get the crowd going!

Let us know how it goes :devilslay

Make sure you put both tracks in the headphones before you swing it in.
On club systems there can be a big delay from headphones to speaker so if you've just got the track you're mixing in matched with the sound of the monitor then there's a good chance it'll clang once you bring it in.

dont let the floor stay empty, it wont look good if theyre deciding whether to hire u again or not. if the floors empty try to get girls to dance. play something theyl all know and can sing along to and you'l' have a nice little lady crowed forming. onc that's there the blokes will soon follow!

sparkyc10 said:
dont let the floor stay empty, it wont look good if theyre deciding whether to hire u again or not. if the floors empty try to get girls to dance. play something theyl all know and can sing along to and you'l' have a nice little lady crowed forming. onc that's there the blokes will soon follow!

Agreed. Birds ain't scared of an empty dancefloor, innit? Good vocal tracks and nice bouncy basslines make the birds shake their :hotpants:

Indi said:
Agreed. Birds ain't scared of an empty dancefloor, innit? Good vocal tracks and nice bouncy basslines make the birds shake their :hotpants:

Thats true! The girls love "Drowning In Her" by 4 horsemen of the appocalipse (foul play). :whipem:

well, i said i'd update you guys, so here it is!!!

played at the think tank in leeds last nite, well nice club, proper underground typical dnb club, was well impressed!! the matey who was organisin the nite wasnt really.....well.....organised, so me and this other bloke had to flip a coin to see who went first, and he had to go first haha. i later found out he has two residencies in brixton, and he had to play before me, who has no residencies anywhere :teeth:

i had a fair few mates down with me, so as soon as i put the needle to the record the dancefloor packed out, and i think the fact that my first tune was messiah helped just a little!
dont think i fucked up one mix to be honest, which was a bonus, and managed to sly in more teases than i usually do in a set, which got good results. fuck me, i even managed to creep in bodyrock!! the bloke after me did some weird shiznit, after i took my last tune off he proceeded to move the pitch fader to zero on both decks so that the tunes were bare slow all the way thru his set !?!?! he clanged a few of the mixes aswell, which (apparently) made me look a lot better :teeth:
overall it was a proper good nite, and i now have a regular monthly slot at this event!! safe or what!!

oh and cheers guys for the help you posted up here, it really did come in useful.

:rave:

haha cheers guys!!

couple'a tings i forgot to mention, the club's dec setup was fcking wank!! one 1210with the plastic bit of the power switch missing, one 1210/1200 with a fuckin red deck plate on it and no target light, and a pair of those blue concordes which seemed like they hadnt ever been looked at since they were first put on the decs.
also my mate tried to change the club mixer for a fuckin hefty vestax one w/samurai xfader an ting, but the sound man noticed and made him change it. can't have everything i spose haha

Standby said:
also my mate tried to change the club mixer for a fuckin hefty vestax one w/samurai xfader an ting, but the sound man noticed and made him change it. can't have everything i spose haha

Why not?!? There the baddest of bad boy's who judge the baddest out of all the other baddest of bad boy mixer's!!! There just well, umm, uhh.......bad!!!

If I had one, the only time I wouldn't take it with me would be if the club already had one (by that time I would of become so reliant on the thing i'd take mine just for spare!!!!)!!!!!!

Tell your sound man to fix up!!!! If I was a sound man and someone came along with a samuari and asked to plug it in i'd say yes then glue the rca's to the decks so he couldn't take it away!!! Hahaha, i'm gonna remember to take a tub of glue everywhere I go if I become soundman!!!!

Big up's on your first set, my first proper set is yet to come so I have much to look forward too by the sound's of things!!!

Back
Top Bottom