1st Dubstep attempt

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So it's christmas eve, the wife is at work and I have time to play around with stuff I enjoy most......Music!

I've never really listened to Dubstep (apart from tracks I've heard on here) but thought I'd try something different and give it a shot. This is only a work in progress, bout a minute and a half long, just looking for some valuable feedback from you guys who know a little bit more than me about the genre. Am I heading in the right direction, are the sounds right etc etc. Hopefully I'll get this finished up just after chrimbo ready to upload the final piece by the new year.

http://soundcloud.com/mr-fletch/dimenzion-x-industrial-suicide

Last edited:
I'm probably in the same boat as you when it comes to dubstep, but anyway...
I'd make the wobble a bit more pronounced, especially at the end where it speeds up.
And you called someone's snare 'homosexual' earlier; are you trying to copy? ;)
Jokes, it sounded too light/weak/wrong (for my ears, of course) Put something a bit more beefy in there.

Sounds good, for a first attempt especially.

Oh, that kinda bass stab right before the drop, didn't think that was needed.

Haha! Damn you for commenting on the snare lol!

Yeah I'm just really experimenting with stuff right now, I was unsure about that stab too, but felt it was needed to fill space (although I know dubstep is sometimes more minimal so maybe you're right, it isnt needed)

not bad for ur first try man, i like the delayed stuff, adds nice atmosphere. agree with sub, make the wob cleaner/louder

Track is super neato! I love the blipped lead!... makes me think of a cave and water for some reason.

1:21 = :rock:

The Perc rocks, the bass rocks, the background sounds rock... the only thing I'd add is maybe some soft Padwork.

Your track sounds like Nuskool Breaks with the SD on the 3 instead of the 2 & 4.

I don't hear any rasta vocals or any jamaican bass going on, so why call this "dubstep"?

By the time we all turn 40, the kids will have come up with another name for 140 bpm Breakbeat with the SD on the 3, lol.

work on the drums a bit man, the snare could do with some tweeking - beef it up more, an add abit of reverb. the bass/low end is a bit muffled imo, maybe clean it up a little. its a good attempt tho :) keep it up... dubstep is a mission to create if you have never made it before

Thanks for the comments guys. It certainly is a mission TongueFlap, I've never even really listened to dubstep apart from what I've heard on here! So trying to create something was a challenge!

But I like to try out different stuff. A good friend of mine used to be bang into happy hardcore back in the day, While I was in the drum and bass arenas of helter skelter, he was in the happy hardcore room! And he's asked me to write him a happy hardcore tune lol! So I'm giving it a blast!

I think the wobble should be less gritty like... Not as in like dark/agressive but.. I can't find words.. It doesn't sound professional? That sounds harsh but I think some of the other dubheads will know what I mean..

Like in this tune;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agCIR29QJyQ&fmt=18

Similar sort of 'swelling' bass but it's like... Fuck me... In your tune you can actually hear every individual step up as opposed to one big sweep.. I think I possibly just talked complete shit :)

Everything else i thought was spot on, liked the drums especially.

Back
Top Bottom