1992 - Total Oblivion, an ardkore mashup!

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
This is a tune I made two weeks ago. I didn't want to show everyone this until Chris Julio got back to me on how he liked it, but unfortunatly, he never did (I guess hes busy). Today I made new highly original tune which makes this one pale in comparison so I'm not feeling this one so much anymore. On the other hand the tune I made today couldn't have happened without this tune here which is a first for me. Sure, most of the samples come from Foul Play vol.2, but what makes it special for me is that its the first tune I've made with super fast changes/switches, and boy does it kick the ass of everything I made before it. So much energy in this one, its a hands in the air tune, AND the sounds come quick. The tune I made today just builds on that.

The techniqe I used with this tune, and the new one today is that I arranged every single combination before hand in a 4 measure loop. I then pasted the loop (which has all the instruments playing at once) many times over the "playing field" (not very technical but I think you get me). The tune was then created by subtracting the loops, measure by measure, leaving only the instruments/loops I wanted to play at that time. While during this I could subtract sounds one measure before the measure that switches to a different vibe which creates nice "throws" or segways into the next vibe. Doing it this way is WAY easier then trying to make the loops as I go... In the past I often loose track of how long a section has been playing, and the tune becomes very monotinous(sp). Plus, I can keep track of the measures easier this way, as in the past I would often make changes at inappropriate times. So this is good, this new technique for me. :)

I've also started to use Acid's compresser for the whole entire track. I'm a total amature at compressers but I think it worked well, you tell me? Speaking of mastering.... I seem to have a hard time figuring out if the basslines and bassdrums are too loud or too quiet. This is because I have a 500 watt sub in my room and the portion of the room I sit at my computer resonates the bass a lot, so its hard to judge what it "really" sounds like. I usually listen to the finished track both with the sub, without, and with headphones. Still, its hard, and I can't really tell. Anyone have any hints for figering this out? I hear from my friends that it takes an "ear" to figure it out, like with DJing.... Well, I want that "ear"!

Heres a picture of what the song "looks like":
http://www.niceboots.com/~1992/MP3/Choons/Mine/1992_-_Total_Oblivion_Screen_Shot.jpg

Download:
The 96kbps 44khz 4.39min 3.9mb MP3

N-JOI, and please tell me what you think, I'm not an expert so pointers are always welcome.

BTW: The tune I made today, I'm saving for the competition thats on B2TOS MSGB (unless if I top myself again). The winner gets a record contract of some sort. Pretty cool :)

Last edited:
It might be the mp3 quality, but it sounds very low-fi - was that on purpose? I do like the quick switch-ups, and the sub is fat, but needs more compression to even it out a bit.

Alex (or anyone else), can you recommend some compressor settings?

Heres what the selections are in Acid:

Input Gain (DB): ##
Output Gain (DB): ##
Threshold (DB): #.#
Amount (x:1): #.#
Attack (ms): ##
Release (ms): ##
Auto Gain Compensation: Yes/No
Smooth Saturation: Yes/No

I really have no clue as to what settings are good for mastering a whole track. I do know that its very easy to make a track sound like garbage. About the only think I know about compression is how to compress the hell out of an amen loop to make it sound like Demon's Theme, but that doesn't help me here, haha. :)

The low-fi-ness? No it wasn't on purpose but since I was working with loops from a low fi hardcore EP that I only have as a 192kbps mp3 I guess its hard to avoid. Edit: Actually, come to think of it, when I was making this I was constantly compairing it to the sound quality of the original Foul Play "Survival" and what I ended up with was extremely close. So maybe your just hearing the crappyness of 96kbps, *shrug*.

Thanks.

PS: Stu, yeah that image file was so big it got my browser out of wack. It looked cool though (the picture, not my browser with the horizontal scroll bar).

Last edited:
Hey its pretty fuckin old skool mate, I like it.
8O
As far as your sub mastering goes, all I can say is have your proper studio monitors set up on your desk facing you, and that's it.
I don't produce, but from what I see its the best what to hear what it 'really' sounds like, the only sweet spot is where you sit ( in front of your PC I presume)

kewlness
:rave:

Nice Alex, your like a world of miracles, kid.* Did you make that thread for me, neat :) I haven't messed around with it much yet, I will this Friday when I have time to burn. I set up those settings you recommended already but I couldn't tell any difference at a low volume (I can't blast the tune when the folks are home).

Mesh, my speakers aren't in a studio position, theres four book shelf speakers in my room (and the sub) and they're aimed all over the place. Maybe thats my problem.

*= remenising about the sega master system game, Alex kid in miracle world. A tough game, then again all the master system carts were and the cheats never worked.

I added the medicine that Dr. Agent prescribed. Take a look and see if its gotten better. Its still a low quality mp3 though, I'm afraid. I think its a pretty good composition and completely in danger of getting bootlegged on a white w/o my permission.

Back
Top Bottom