192Kbps vs 320Kbs played out?

Wellsy

VIP Junglist
Got my first proper play out in a couple o weeks and was wondering if there is a big difference between these two bit rates on decent systems? Id say roughly 30 % of my mp3 collection is 192 because I was a cheap ass but always buy 320 nowadays, isit worth re-placing my 192's? I'd prefer not to but if it really affects the sound in a big environment then I'l have to, but I cant tell a hell of lot of difference on my speakers.

192 aint the end of the world... i wouldn't make a habbit of it though! at least it aint 128 (shudder) as that is just pure gashness!

i find that 192's are quieter than 320's so you just have to turn it up a tad

coincedence... if you got a tune at 320 then downsampled it to 192 via your favorite audio processor, they would be at the same 'volume' but certain frequencies are cut out and sounds the coder deems inaudiable, ie the highs off a hat over a snare, are cut out.

coincedence... if you got a tune at 320 then downsampled it to 192 via your favorite audio processor, they would be at the same 'volume' but certain frequencies are cut out and sounds the coder deems inaudiable, ie the highs off a hat over a snare, are cut out.

Yeh ive noticed a few 192's seem quieter but also still weaker when turned up, I suppose it also depends on how its sampled regardless of bit rate as some 192's sound almost identical to 320.

Under no circumstances should you play a 192kbps mp3 on a big rig. It will sound bloody awful.

Play 320kbps mp3s at the very least. Ideally you should be playing uncompressed WAVs.

Yeh ive noticed a few 192's seem quieter but also still weaker when turned up, I suppose it also depends on how its sampled regardless of bit rate as some 192's sound almost identical to 320.

they're quieter because they're COMPRESSED. 'how it's sampled' that doesn't even make sense. if some of your 192s sound similar to your 320s, then you're 320s are probably VBR and not true CBR 320.

why would anyone play 192s in a club? what the fuck? why would anyone have 192s? WAT DA FUK

320s are a reasonable compromise, but ideally i wouldn't play anything less that wav unless i've got no other option.

they're quieter because they're COMPRESSED. 'how it's sampled' that doesn't even make sense. if some of your 192s sound similar to your 320s, then you're 320s are probably VBR and not true CBR 320.

why would anyone play 192s in a club? what the fuck? why would anyone have 192s? WAT DA FUK

320s are a reasonable compromise, but ideally i wouldn't play anything less that wav unless i've got no other option.

hehehe ok master:rolleyes:

I've never played in a club environment so have no idea how 192's sound, you always here shit dj's playing chart cd's or whatever and alot and are 192's and they sound fine, for d&b however only the best format should be used I know so by the majority and and your O SO FUCKIN HELPFUL advice I'l replace my 192's:)

Sampling rate

When it is necessary to capture audio covering the entire 20–20,000 Hz range of human hearing, such as when recording music, audio waveforms are typically sampled at 44.1 kHz (CD), 48 kHz (professional audio), or 96kHz.

....so this includes the quality of the drums, bass used when making a track which is a big factor!!!

guaranteed 100% of your mp3 collection was compressed from an original wav sampled at 44.1kHz, so it makes no difference in terms of the end product.

'shit dj's playing chart cds' if they were original copies; bought from a shop - the real, they'd be wav, non? so in fact they'd be better.

guaranteed 100% of your mp3 collection was compressed from an original wav sampled at 44.1kHz, so it makes no difference in terms of the end product.

'shit dj's playing chart cds' if they were original copies; bought from a shop - the real, they'd be wav, non? so in fact they'd be better.

i think cd's from shops and that are an equivalant of 1024kbs or something liek that, and possible 96khz or something

all 'cds from shops' are pcm / 16bit / 44.1kHz and have been since they were created. its known as red book standard, and ALL retail audio cds all follow this. there are no exceptions.

Yea all mp3s are compressed from WAVs at that rate most likely but I'm just saying the process from Analog to Digital and the initial analog recording includes many different factors so its very possible to have varying sound qualities and frequencies.

I'l try and get into the habit and buy the odd WAV from now on but definitely 320 minimum, thanks for everybody's responses even you Riisu:thumbsup:lol

short answer - no.

you can obviously 'downgrade' an mp3 in terms of quality - because you're going from a higher quality sound to a lower one.
but you can't 'upgrade' because the data isn't there to be regained, as such.

yes, most if not all 320 mp3s derive from wav file format.

you can't turn a 320 mp3 into a wav, before you ask ;)

Back
Top Bottom