"18 k....15 k HIGH CUT" HELP !!!

Bluster

Hello,
Straight to the point ......bounce a track(well made track ) into your DAW and put an EQ you see how there information after 17 000 Hz is missing except the SNARE who hits till 20 000 Hz.
My problem :
I apply 17 k CUT in the EQ i record it and when i check if its done ... the effect isnt the same ... so can someone please tell me HOW do they ACHIEVE that STRAIGHT PERFECT CUT ?

Ohh... i hope someone have a clue...

Thanks for your time !

There's no point worrying about this sort of thing. Music's for listening to not looking at.
I need to know ! I need to understand ! This is an very important technique !
If anyone can answer me please do it i will be grateful !

I need to know ! I need to understand ! This is an very important technique !
If anyone can answer me please do it i will be grateful !

Serum said it best. Without looking at the readout from your spectrum, how does the mix as a whole sound?

To add, why apply an EQ and then record? Wouldn't it make more sense to record the sound raw and then apply any processing after the fact?

If the snare is the only element that's hitting past 17k to 20k, then it sounds like you have a plugin on a track (or group bus) other than the snare track in your mix that is rolling/cutting off those upper frequencies. If you're using any analog emulation plugins (ex. PSP VintageWarmer) check the hi/low EQ settings to make sure they're set properly. If you're using any overdrive plugins, check to make sure they're allowing those upper frequencies to pass.

Finally, check the phase of your mix. Perhaps there are some conflicting frequencies that are seriously clashing with one another, though it would have to be a rather extreme case.

I would still like to reiterate that Serum's advice is still the best–music is best analyzed through the ears and not the eyes.

Cheers.

I've wondered about this as well. I'm thinking its because the mp3 compression (assuming your reference tracks are ripped from youtube or something) takes out all the frequency information above a certain point. Serum's right though, doesn't really matter

I've wondered about this as well. I'm thinking its because the mp3 compression (assuming your reference tracks are ripped from youtube or something) takes out all the frequency information above a certain point. Serum's right though, doesn't really matter

Probably Correct as i made some tests...

I thought its some Trick for letting the snare sound clearer ..seriosuly.. because the tracks sounded good even with 17 k cut (not that its so much).

Well thanks ....im still confused because ... OK 17 k cut on the track but the snares frequencies are still comming in after 17 k .....

Hello,
Straight to the point ......bounce a track(well made track ) into your DAW and put an EQ you see how there information after 17 000 Hz is missing except the SNARE who hits till 20 000 Hz.
My problem :
I apply 17 k CUT in the EQ i record it and when i check if its done ... the effect isnt the same ... so can someone please tell me HOW do they ACHIEVE that STRAIGHT PERFECT CUT ?
Agreed it sounds like you are looking at mp3 compression. As to your question on how to achieve this, you could put 3 or 4 24db low pass filters in series which would give you the dramatic roll off but why you would want that I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Agreed it sounds like you are looking at mp3 compression. As to your question on how to achieve this, you could put 3 or 4 24db low pass filters in series which would give you the dramatic roll off but why you would want that I'm not sure.

You have to be careful with phase response there. That can really wreck havock in your sound. I found the tutorial "EQ: Linear Phase vs Minimum Phase" from fabfilters on youtube very enlightening. It talks about phase shifts for different types of filters, showing how it can seriously affect your mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKabAQQsPQ

big ups for sharing the tutorial mate, I've just recently been aware of phase issues and latency when using eqs and other processes and it was driving me crazy

You have to be careful with phase response there. That can really wreck havock in your sound. I found the tutorial "EQ: Linear Phase vs Minimum Phase" from fabfilters on youtube very enlightening. It talks about phase shifts for different types of filters, showing how it can seriously affect your mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKabAQQsPQ

Cool man, very interesting vid. I had often wondered how a simple lowpass filter with no gain could introduce overs (clipping) to a limited signal, and also why I sometimes lose transients on processed (filtered) drum hits.
I want that vst analyser thing, he said it's free right? that would be super handy.

Edit: Got it, pretty cool, especially being able to see the bell shape/slope on say, the pultec emulation and other more opaque plugins.

Last edited:
I want that vst analyser thing, he said it's free right? that would be super handy.

Edit: Got it, pretty cool, especially being able to see the bell shape/slope on say, the pultec emulation and other more opaque plugins.

Thx, I actually never thought of looking that one up. I found it here:
http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/programs/measurement-programs/

And that Budde guy is apparently quite a big shot in plugin-land. Quite some more interesting tools, and some interesting plugins as well. Gonna try some out of those :)
http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/

Back
Top Bottom