15 year old wanting to dj! ADVICE!

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Benzzz, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Benzzz

Benzzz Benz

Hi everybody,

I need your advice badly! Im interested in getting to dj drum n bass as of late after following the drum n bass scene since 2006, listening to sounds of dj hazard, hype and many more producers, so i have decent knowledge about the "jump up" side of dnb. As im willing to take dj'ying as a career when im older, how can get off the mark with things. First ill be needing some decks and ive been looking at the popular pioneer cdjs, but puzzled to which one would benifit me as a beginner.

After that how will i be able to put my name out there? Become recognised? yes im only 15 but im willing to go far in this as im passionate about dnb and love it. But please, id love some advice from you all thanks!!

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Practice, every day, every hour, dont stop, except to eat and pee.

a pair of Axis 8/9's will do to start off, better than the low end Pioneers

you might want to consider music production if you are really passionate about music

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. Ray Sparra

Ray Sparra Member

Dj Hype Myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/hypehypehype

4. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

If you want to make DJing a career.. you pretty much have to be a producer too :( Only very few big DJs have made it without producing

5. st420

st420 Member

and imo being a good producer is way harder than being a good dj.. takes alot more effort. this is just for me though, when i go into my bedroom ill look at my laptop and my decks and 98% of the time decks win.

6. dizzzeejungle

dizzzeejungle Junglist Down Under..

use the mentality you will have in 10 years to rule is with girls now

7. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

You have a long way to go

8. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Producers usually know whether they're 15 or 20. Should probably stick to djing.

9. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

I'm not quite sure, but I guess you cannot register onto this forum under certain age, so this might be the case?

10. Cus93

Cus93 Spectrm Podact

by the book "How to DJ, properly", so so so many DJs i know have it, and they all agree it's ace, even if you do know the basics or have been mixing laptop or w/e. it's a bible

11. J-Rex

J-Rex soundcloud.com/j-rex

tbh i dont think you really need to buy a book to learn to dj, its not that hard, just get a set of decks (pioneer 400s would be a good place to start) and start practicing, i found the best ways to help me improve when i was learning was to watch other people djing and mix as much as possible and as many different genres and tempos as i could
    but as has already been said you probably won't make it very far in the dnb scene without producing some decent tunes as well, since anyone can dj really

12. TetraEleven

TetraEleven Producer/Idiot Savant

-Learn how to actually mix, not fade in and out of tracks. If listeners wanted that they could just use iTunes.

-Know how to count beats/measures/tempos. Knowing which count the beat is on will do wonders for your mixing.

-Make sure a mix has a flow, so that the high energy songs mix with the other high energy songs. Same with lower energy songs. Trust me, there's nothing more off-putting than listening to a really fast paced track and it suddenly mixing with some chill track.

-YOU be the actual person mixing the tracks, not a machine or program. Don't submit to the "DJ's just push a button" stereotype.

-Plan your mixes ahead of time. Make sure you hand pick tracks that go together.

-Listen to other mixes by experienced DJs. You should notice that mixes have a pattern of build-ups, drops, breakdowns, and outros.

-Only release quality mixes. You may get really excited that you finally finished a mix but if it isn't any good, you'll get a bad rep for being crap. Instead, share your mixes with a couple of people to have them critique it before you put it mainstream.

-PRACTICE. PRACTICE. This is a craft that no one can master overnight. Anyone who is any good at mixing has spent a decent amount of time actually practicing it.

Hope this helps.

13. fevezz

fevezz nom nom nom nom!

yeah, learning from a book isn't always a good idea, but really, i happened to buy this used (after learning on my own) and i thought it was very well written and helpful, especially for BEGINNERS who need to learn about setting up tonearms, marking cue points (for turntablism), etc. And it explains stuff like stylus wear n whatnot, very informative, but more so if you're gonna use vinyl.

what i suggest, is when you're ready/have enough money, buy GOOD mixer ASAP, cuz it's a real easy mistake to make, thinkin that "ah i'll get buy w/ cheap shit for now", then it's always crappin' out on you.

also, for the production side: you will eventually be interested in producing after dj-ing for a while, i believe. remixing tracks while you're still a dj is also a good way to get ur name out a lil more, and you can play ur remixes in a set (especially if u use cdjs). start w/ remix competitions n such.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  14. Cus93

Cus93 Spectrm Podact

If someone had no musical knowledge at all i think they could find it pretty hard to understand the concepts of mixing. Not knowing about phrasing is a great example. I suppose you could pick that up by watching sets, probably take a longer time if you didn't know the tunes.

15. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

That book's not essential but it'll stop you picking up bad habits.

16. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE.

and when it all gets a bit much...

PRACTICE SOME MORE! it pays off in the end.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  17. DOOVD

DOOVD Member

Dude you should practise your spelling more often

18. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

got a bit carried away...haha

19. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Yeah practice practice practice. Get another mate to mix with you so you can do the learning process with someone so you can learn from eachother.

And if you give us a budget of what you want to spend on your first setup either myself or someone else im sure will help you out to find something