15 year old wanting to dj! ADVICE!

Benzzz

Benz
Hi everybody,

I need your advice badly! Im interested in getting to dj drum n bass as of late after following the drum n bass scene since 2006, listening to sounds of dj hazard, hype and many more producers, so i have decent knowledge about the "jump up" side of dnb. As im willing to take dj'ying as a career when im older, how can get off the mark with things. First ill be needing some decks and ive been looking at the popular pioneer cdjs, but puzzled to which one would benifit me as a beginner.

After that how will i be able to put my name out there? Become recognised? yes im only 15 but im willing to go far in this as im passionate about dnb and love it. But please, id love some advice from you all thanks!!

Practice, every day, every hour, dont stop, except to eat and pee.

a pair of Axis 8/9's will do to start off, better than the low end Pioneers

you might want to consider music production if you are really passionate about music

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I need your advice badly! Im interested in getting to dj drum n bass as of late after following the drum n bass scene since 2006, listening to sounds of dj hazard, hype and many more producers, so i have decent knowledge about the "jump up" side of dnb. As im willing to take dj'ying as a career when im older, how can get off the mark with things. First ill be needing some decks and ive been looking at the popular pioneer cdjs, but puzzled to which one would benifit me as a beginner.

After that how will i be able to put my name out there? Become recognised? yes im only 15 but im willing to go far in this as im passionate about dnb and love it. But please, id love some advice from you all thanks!!

Dj Hype Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/hypehypehype

If you want to make DJing a career.. you pretty much have to be a producer too :( Only very few big DJs have made it without producing

and imo being a good producer is way harder than being a good dj.. takes alot more effort. this is just for me though, when i go into my bedroom ill look at my laptop and my decks and 98% of the time decks win.

Hi everybody,

You have a long way to go

by the book "How to DJ, properly", so so so many DJs i know have it, and they all agree it's ace, even if you do know the basics or have been mixing laptop or w/e. it's a bible

tbh i dont think you really need to buy a book to learn to dj, its not that hard, just get a set of decks (pioneer 400s would be a good place to start) and start practicing, i found the best ways to help me improve when i was learning was to watch other people djing and mix as much as possible and as many different genres and tempos as i could
but as has already been said you probably won't make it very far in the dnb scene without producing some decent tunes as well, since anyone can dj really

tbh i dont think you really need to buy a book to learn to dj, its not that hard, just get a set of decks (pioneer 400s would be a good place to start) and start practicing, i found the best ways to help me improve when i was learning was to watch other people djing and mix as much as possible and as many different genres and tempos as i could
but as has already been said you probably won't make it very far in the dnb scene without producing some decent tunes as well, since anyone can dj really

yeah, learning from a book isn't always a good idea, but really, i happened to buy this used (after learning on my own) and i thought it was very well written and helpful, especially for BEGINNERS who need to learn about setting up tonearms, marking cue points (for turntablism), etc. And it explains stuff like stylus wear n whatnot, very informative, but more so if you're gonna use vinyl.

what i suggest, is when you're ready/have enough money, buy GOOD mixer ASAP, cuz it's a real easy mistake to make, thinkin that "ah i'll get buy w/ cheap shit for now", then it's always crappin' out on you.

also, for the production side: you will eventually be interested in producing after dj-ing for a while, i believe. remixing tracks while you're still a dj is also a good way to get ur name out a lil more, and you can play ur remixes in a set (especially if u use cdjs). start w/ remix competitions n such.

Last edited:

If someone had no musical knowledge at all i think they could find it pretty hard to understand the concepts of mixing. Not knowing about phrasing is a great example. I suppose you could pick that up by watching sets, probably take a longer time if you didn't know the tunes.

PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE.

and when it all gets a bit much...

PRACTICE SOME MORE! it pays off in the end.

Last edited:
Yeah practice practice practice. Get another mate to mix with you so you can do the learning process with someone so you can learn from eachother.

And if you give us a budget of what you want to spend on your first setup either myself or someone else im sure will help you out to find something

Back
Top Bottom