15 n wanna start DNB producing

joev789

15 my names Joe, had bad help from breakbeat.co.uk forums so found this, im from Essex, was wondering what I'll need to start and where to start learning from...Iknow all this stuff is expensive but what will I NEED to start?

Get a copy of Propellerheads Reason, that's all you need really...Or Ableton...one or the other will be good learning platforms. Reason is quite a bit complicated if you don't know instruments/synths/etc

Don't take this the wrong way......have you been to a rave and experienced a decent system?

i would advise you against spending any real money on software at your level. you want to learn, and see whether producing is something you like, and have any talent for. no point in spending any serious money on something you may not like.
id say get Reaper. you wont have to pay anything to begin with. just download the program from their website, and if you like it, you can decide to pay them their very reasonable fee. As far as using reaper, its pretty much the same as most major sequencers, both in functionality and sound quality. and in my opinion, it would be better for you to get used of working that way, rather than something like reason and ableton.
Similarly, there's tons of free and/or very cheap synths, samplers, and effects that you should try out, before splashing out any money. KVR is the best place to check for all VST needs. http://www.kvraudio.com/
now, if you are sitting on some hot cash that you simply must spend, id say your priorities are as follows:
decent computer (anything with a 2.4 quad core and 2 gig ram is more than enough for now)
Soundcard (again, no need to go crazy. edirol's UA-25 is very solid, and for even cheaper you could get M audio's delta 44)
Monitor speakers (example, Alesis M1 MkII, or even cheaper ones)
Midi controller (just a simple 2 octaves with a few knobs, eg M audio Oxygen)
Large computer screen (22" are dirt cheap right now)

so yeah, thats in my opinion your best course of action for equipment. in terms of knowledge, just keep checking places like dogsonacid, gearslutz, and of course our production forum here. some great heads, like kama, dar kist, logikz and many others, with tons of knowledge.
good luck

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way......have you been to a rave and experienced a decent system?

WOW could you make a more completly irrelivant post? i dont think so. you win.

that really pisses me off how you think going to a rave makes you more of a musician? thats really retarded.

YOU HAVNET HEARD A BASSLINE AT 136362236db AND MAKE U FEEL SICK therefor you cannot make music!!

mate grab a copy of fruity loops or reason, both are fine..

and more importantly, dont listen to anybody. Do what the fuck you want to do and dont listen to anybody tell you that you suck coz everyone does when they start.

and to be honest i bet if you start now people will be jealous if someone so young makes better beats than they do.

Last edited:
I'm a fellow essex guy, from Basildon infact. And I use Fruity loops. I found it to be the most user friendly program and stuck with it from the start. If you go to their website you can download a demo version. In the demo you can do almost all you can do in the full version, but you are unable to save your progress!

If you need any help, do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Listen to Gordo. Don't spend too much yet. Have fun researching on the net and finding free things.

:wave: Right, first tings first... good on ya, starting young is great as A) you brain is more 'willing' to learn and B) the sooner you start the sooner you get better ie the younger you can enjoy your talent!

second, download the demos of the major DAWs (Digital Audio Sequencer) and see what YOU like... the majors, such as ableton, FL, reason, logic and cubase etc all are pretty much a very similar product and are a means to an end... i mean if you can bang sticks together and make good tunes, does it matter?

third, watch the various 'masterclass' videos on youtube... subfocus, juggernaught, spor etc and learn some of the basics...

finally... good quality samples go a very long way!

Agreed, if you're just looking to futs around and learn Reaper is a good free solution. But if ya got some extra cash and want to be serious about producing and learning music getting a copy of Reason will eventually be close to mandatory. It'll give you the closest thing to Hands-On hardware use without actually getting analogue synths and stuff.

But FL Studio is def a good start

Also, 15 is perfect age to start ;) look at Limewax, his first release was when he was 17
(from wikipedia)
Birth name Maxim Anokhin
Born 1988
Origin Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine
Genres Drum and bass; Hardstep, Darkstep
Occupations Producer, Composer, DJ
Years active 2005 - present

Last edited:
FL 8. Get it, no matter what anybody says it is IDEAL for learning and there are plenty of tutorials online for it. Really underrated piece of software.

this.

user friendly pick up n go kinda software. when you improve run it through something else if you feel you need something with better sound quality.

i use fruity and nothing else. i get copies of reason pushed on me all the time but if i'm quite honest i aint got the time to learn another program

so infact my advise is this, start with whatever, and stick with it until you feel you can move on, if you need to.

youtube and google are your friends.

search .....*insert program name*tutorial dnb......the world is your oyster.

Cheers guys, think I'm gonna go with trial version of FL get some cheap version of ejay to help learn a few basics then get some dosh and get some monitors etc cheers, maybe even see me around the forums if I get into it.

One bit of advice....
When you get into producing I find its better to mainly listen to other genres of music because you become narrow minded and just want to replicate a sound noisia made which frustrates you because noone can replicate a noisia bass! haha.
Also buy your synths rather than illegally downloading them because A. they can carry virus's and damage you computer and B. when you buy something its less disposable and you dont just use the presets then move onto another plugin, you actually want to learn how to use the plugin properly because you have paid a lot of money for it.

Invest in some hardware if production starts becoming boring, a lot of people prefer the hands on approach

Get a copy of Propellerheads Reason, that's all you need really...Or Ableton...one or the other will be good learning platforms. Reason is quite a bit complicated if you don't know instruments/synths/etc
have both there awesome, rewire reason too ableton so you can use the awesome synths and so you can use vsti's like massive.

One bit of advice....
When you get into producing I find its better to mainly listen to other genres of music because you become narrow minded and just want to replicate a sound noisia made which frustrates you because noone can replicate a noisia bass!

dude, i see where you coming from, but dont confuse him even more. id suggest listen to a lot of dnb or whatever style you wanna make, and try and make similar stuff to begin with. since rave styles have very distinctive stylistic elements, i believe that is important to learn them first, and then try and be innovative. You must learn the rules before you can brake them.

Also, joe, have in mind that the first few years of producing are painfully frustrating. Its a really hard skill to master, it requires dedication and also a touch of talent. On the up side, as mentioned earlier, the fact that you're starting at such a young age can only make things better for you.

good luck mate, hope to see you around these pages. dont be afraid to ask for help. (y)

Back
Top Bottom