1210 white noise issue.

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
One of my turntables is creating a sound I can only describe as a scratchy kind of white noise any time a record reaches any relative high ends. Ultimately frustrating as you can't fiddle with the EQ's otherwise it gets worse. Recording mixes is almost pointless...

Initially I thought it was my carts, swapped them over...still the same.
Checked wiring, cleaned dusted etc. Plugged all back in, same problem.

I'm pretty much decided it has something to do with the wiring inside the deck. Either the earth or the wiring for the tonearm (which was recently replaced) is at fault for this scratchy white noise. It is 100% worse with older tunes...recording it just is painful to listen to.

Anyone had this before? My 1210's are as old as fack so I'm willing to send em to Mistanoize, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any previous issues that are similar...

thoughts?

I'm pretty much decided it has something to do with the wiring inside the deck. Either the earth or the wiring for the tonearm (which was recently replaced) is at fault for this scratchy white noise.

I think you've nailed it. Has it been like it ever since the wire was replaced? It might be as simple as a dry solder joint on the PCB beneath the tonearm. If you can get hold of a multimeter, check the resistance of each tonearm contact (at the headshell end) to the ends of the RCA cable and earth. Two of the contacts should shold read zero ohms to the RCA rings and open circuit to everything else. The other two contacts should read zero ohms to their respective RCA pins, open circuit to everything else. The ground wire should be open circit to everything except the tonearm / turntable casing.

I think you've nailed it. Has it been like it ever since the wire was replaced? It might be as simple as a dry solder joint on the PCB beneath the tonearm. If you can get hold of a multimeter, check the resistance of each tonearm contact (at the headshell end) to the ends of the RCA cable and earth. Two of the contacts should shold read zero ohms to the RCA rings and open circuit to everything else. The other two contacts should read zero ohms to their respective RCA pins, open circuit to everything else. The ground wire should be open circit to everything except the tonearm / turntable casing.

it was actually the whole tone arm which was replaced, obviously everything had to be resoldered inside...initially it was fine. taken a bit of a downward spiral since unfortunately. I'm not the most technical of blokes so I'm more likely to send this off to get repaired...

cheers for your response...pos repped & ting for knowledge and detail.

it was actually the whole tone arm which was replaced, obviously everything had to be resoldered inside...initially it was fine. taken a bit of a downward spiral since unfortunately. I'm not the most technical of blokes so I'm more likely to send this off to get repaired...

cheers for your response...pos repped & ting for knowledge and detail.

Take it back to where ever you got the tone arm replaced and tell them to fix it

close to bush. Harrow way. you got any experience fixing this kind of thing?

A little...

DSC_6629.jpg

Tbh though Sc0tty is right. If they naused it up installing the tonearm they should fix it. I put my money on it being a poor solder joint.

Take it back to where ever you got the tone arm replaced and tell them to fix it

hahaha fair play mate.

I'm taking it back, spoke to them today, they seemed quite helpful and understanding, just hope it doesnt take too long.

I have a similar issue with one of my decks. But it only occurs when i put the volume low, if i crank the upfader of that channel to around 80% it goes away, but the white noise sound gets louder the lower i slide the fader :/

Its weird. Might be to do with the LED mod i did to my decks. Might crack em open again and have a tinker.

Back
Top Bottom