1200s sound too bassy.

*SweetPea*

LADY VINYL
VIP Junglist
I've recently bought a pair of band new 1200s, they came with ortofon needles. I looked them up, and they're nothing amazing, but pretty standard for bedroom mixing.

I set up my decks and mixer and speakers and everything, but it all sounds really bassy!! - and not in a good way, kind of mouldy.

I know it's not my speakers, because it's the same sound out of my headphones, and I don't think it's my decks, because it's the same sound for both decks.

I doubt it's my mixer, because it's a pretty good mixer. If it is, it doesn't matter, because it's under warranty, but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem with brand new 1200s? Like teething problems?

Or if anyone could shed some light on what might be the problem, I'd really appreciate it.

Thankyou :)

It'll be the mixer, cables or the needle. I very much doubt it'll be the 1200s, as as far as I am aware, your turntable shouldn't have any effect on the sound that comes out of your speakers.

What mixer do you own? Are the cables you're using old/cheap? Is the sound noticably worse on one deck?

I doubt very much it's the cables. Where are the speakers in relation to the turntables? It could be feedback. What speakers and mixer are you using?

yeh it wont be the cables, or the 1200. I doubt it will be your A&H inless you have the bass eq up on max? So most likely it will be the ortofons. Are they calibrated correctly? As in correct weight & height?

Does your mixer go into a CD player? have you got a bassboost on that? ermm think thats all i can think of.

I had a problem a while back with my ortofons, the bass was silly heavy. I just gave them a clean, re-weighted them up and it solved the prob.

I've got a xone 22, and the speakers I'm using at the moment is just through a cd player. It won't be the lead from the mixer to the speakers, because the headphones sound the same.

The speakers are behind the decks... would that make a difference tho?

I think I'll try and do the weighty thing. It confuses me a bit tho, I'll look on youtube how to do it properly.

Cheers guys! Fingers crossed this works!! :)

I've got a xone 22, and the speakers I'm using at the moment is just through a cd player. It won't be the lead from the mixer to the speakers, because the headphones sound the same.

The speakers are behind the decks... would that make a difference tho?

I think I'll try and do the weighty thing. It confuses me a bit tho, I'll look on youtube how to do it properly.

Cheers guys! Fingers crossed this works!! :)

Hmm, if there too close and on the same surface you gonna be getting feedback. Which could be conceived as added bass. Have you tried turning the speakers up with no music playing, if you get feedback running through them I would of thought they was too close.

Someone made a thread saying the exact same thing the other day, found out it was the weight of the tone-arm and deleted the thread. Not sure how this is possible but maybe it's that?

Someone made a thread saying the exact same thing the other day, found out it was the weight of the tone-arm and deleted the thread. Not sure how this is possible but maybe it's that?

That's useful!! Haha, I think I'll try that. :)

Hmm, if there too close and on the same surface you gonna be getting feedback. Which could be conceived as added bass. Have you tried turning the speakers up with no music playing, if you get feedback running through them I would of thought they was too close.

I'll try this too love! :)

which ortofons are they Alice? were they new?
also which o'clock is your bass EQ on?

They are brand new, but don't know which ones exactly. and all of my EQs are at 12, i'lve tried turning them down, and the bass does go down, obviously, but doesn't end up sounding crisp! I may be blonde, but I'm not that bad!! :P

Think I'm going to have to play around with weights and stuff, and then fingers crossed it will be alright!

As said this is almost 100% to do with needles.

And you havent said which Ortofons there are? That'll help if you tell :)

Do remember that compared to any other format vinyl has a lot warmer bass

I route my cd player and my Imac through my mixer, the decks both have more bass.

Back
Top Bottom