100% Non-Dairy (Minimal, Juke, Rollers, Weirdness, No Ram)

Afek_One

VIP Junglist
It's a pretty good representation of the drum and bass I like. Some of the mixes I wanted to be weird and contrasting. I guess it's to show how diverse 170 music is or something like that. The first few mixes illustrate that... I think. The mixing isn't perfect and some of the tunes come in hot (that Om Unit tune is loud as fuck). It's something I struggle with.

Foreign Concept - Paper Cha$er
Reza - Dew Drops
Jubei - Black Code
Villem & McLeod - Another Star
Stray - Prof Popper
Heavy1 - Minimalized (Stunna Remix)
Clarity - Constant
Rhyming In Fives - With You
Dub Phizix - Handmade
Om Unit - The Red Curtain (free)
Paradox - I Led You
Overlook - Digital
Blocks and Escher - Slow Wave
Jubei feat D Bridge - These Things
Vaccine - Irradiate
Homemade Weapons - Beowulf (free)
Detail and Tiiu - Days Go By
Survival - Blunted
Clarity - Sombre
Overlook - Street Spirit
Unknown - The Umbra Series - Vol 1 AA

Last edited:
tidy bang ! really enjoyable mix, loving the new style of DnB
The first section, as you said, had alot of contrast but worked really well
Transitions were tight and crisp, didnt notice any slips, just rolled into each other nicely
will be looking for for future mixes ;)

tidy bang ! really enjoyable mix, loving the new style of DnB
The first section, as you said, had alot of contrast but worked really well
Transitions were tight and crisp, didnt notice any slips, just rolled into each other nicely
will be looking for for future mixes ;)

Thanks, bro. I appreciate it. I had a lot of fun making it. A few of the mixes had me jumping around like an idiot, by myself, in my apartment. The only mix I'd take back is the one into The Red Curtain. I just jammed it in as soon as I had it matched. Need to pay more attention to my levels.

The pre-interlude bit was nice, with the tuning in on a radio thing. Not a huge fan of Paper Chaser, but it made a nice intro. Enjoyed the additional due drops in there, if a little weighty on the bass, but still tight. Had forgotten what Block Code was, but sat ok with Dew Drops. The transition out of Another Star into Prof Popper was a virtually seamless and rolled nicely of the back of the more liquid tune. The tribal beats of Constant sat a treat with the structure of that Stunna rmx before it left the ride. Would have liked to hear more of the mix from the drop with those two, as opposed to a switched mix + didn’t like the effects on Constant that were being added. That tune sounds quality as it is. With You in the breakdown of Constant was sublime and when Clarity’s bit came back in, those 2 sounded incredible together. Easily my favourite mix so far.

Bit of a sharp cut to Homemade. Really like that tune, but keep the tunes in at the drop more man. The hectic plinky notes of The Beef Curtain complimented the percussion of Homemade very well, and I can hear you lined that one up very quickly to make up for the cut. Switched mix into I Led You…... same for Digital. Digital – Slow Wave had the tunes talking to one another, which was a cool touch. Loved how the tranquil melody of Irradiate complimented the crunchy step of These Things for the brief time both tunes were in. Really like Irradiate, then with the added minimal beats of Beowolf, more goodness, and has to be my second fav mix. Thought it was the dBridge rmx of Fighting Fire coming in when Days Go By’s vocals started to come in + the way the dirty bass note of Beowolf kept peeking over the top of the mix was nice, and the effect on that as it left the mix was just the right amount and where I think it suits tunes more than fiddling about in the middle of a tune. Thought it was a Need For Mirrors tune in when Blunted was in, nice mix with that and Sombre, then into Street Spirit for a brief mix. Those last 2 sounding like they were meant to go together. Was really tempted to pick up that Umbra 001 but not sure why I didn’t. The melodies in that were wicked over the minimal steppiness of Street Spirit for the final mix

Tight mixing, and a wicked selection. Enjoyed the minimal & jukey bits more that the liquidy rolling bits. As you said, some of the transitions need to be eased in and out more fluidly. Still find that hard to get to grips with myself, but it’s all a learning curve. Also, try keeping more tunes in at the drop, as it will make you listen to the tunes more. A lot of top dj’s switch mixes at the drop for the impact of the next tune, but sometimes it can lose the energy of the mix, and when its switched mix after switched mix its nice to vary where the switched mixes are in a recording, if any at all. Also try keeping blends in for 2 cycles of 32 bars as opposed to 1 x 32 bars, as that can kinda sound brief to the listener. Ez

The pre-interlude bit was nice, with the tuning in on a radio thing. Not a huge fan of Paper Chaser, but it made a nice intro. Enjoyed the additional due drops in there, if a little weighty on the bass, but still tight. Had forgotten what Block Code was, but sat ok with Dew Drops. The transition out of Another Star into Prof Popper was a virtually seamless and rolled nicely of the back of the more liquid tune. The tribal beats of Constant sat a treat with the structure of that Stunna rmx before it left the ride. Would have liked to hear more of the mix from the drop with those two, as opposed to a switched mix + didn’t like the effects on Constant that were being added. That tune sounds quality as it is. With You in the breakdown of Constant was sublime and when Clarity’s bit came back in, those 2 sounded incredible together. Easily my favourite mix so far.

Bit of a sharp cut to Homemade. Really like that tune, but keep the tunes in at the drop more man. The hectic plinky notes of The Beef Curtain complimented the percussion of Homemade very well, and I can hear you lined that one up very quickly to make up for the cut. Switched mix into I Led You…... same for Digital. Digital – Slow Wave had the tunes talking to one another, which was a cool touch. Loved how the tranquil melody of Irradiate complimented the crunchy step of These Things for the brief time both tunes were in. Really like Irradiate, then with the added minimal beats of Beowolf, more goodness, and has to be my second fav mix. Thought it was the dBridge rmx of Fighting Fire coming in when Days Go By’s vocals started to come in + the way the dirty bass note of Beowolf kept peeking over the top of the mix was nice, and the effect on that as it left the mix was just the right amount and where I think it suits tunes more than fiddling about in the middle of a tune. Thought it was a Need For Mirrors tune in when Blunted was in, nice mix with that and Sombre, then into Street Spirit for a brief mix. Those last 2 sounding like they were meant to go together. Was really tempted to pick up that Umbra 001 but not sure why I didn’t. The melodies in that were wicked over the minimal steppiness of Street Spirit for the final mix

Tight mixing, and a wicked selection. Enjoyed the minimal & jukey bits more that the liquidy rolling bits. As you said, some of the transitions need to be eased in and out more fluidly. Still find that hard to get to grips with myself, but it’s all a learning curve. Also, try keeping more tunes in at the drop, as it will make you listen to the tunes more. A lot of top dj’s switch mixes at the drop for the impact of the next tune, but sometimes it can lose the energy of the mix, and when its switched mix after switched mix its nice to vary where the switched mixes are in a recording, if any at all. Also try keeping blends in for 2 cycles of 32 bars as opposed to 1 x 32 bars, as that can kinda sound brief to the listener. Ez

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need to work on extending mixes and not switching basses at every drop. A lot of times I'll pull a tune out and immediately think I should have kept it in. Part of it is knowing my tunes better. I probably buy more tunes than I need to.

I know people aren't into effects with drum and bass, but it's something I'm trying to explore. During Constant, I was trying to add a melodic element with the flanger. I've probably played that tune more than any tune this year. I love it. There's so much energy in a tune that I'd still consider minimal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom