100% free DAWs?

allot of audio hardware (eg audio interfaces) comes bundled with learning editions of various DAW's, including Ableton Live Lite, ProTools LE and Cubase (LE, i think), all excellent DAW's, obviously the free versions are not as featured packed like the full versions, but for getting started they are a great way to go, and they all support VST's so you can load up all popular tools, synths and FX to learn with

Get MuLab. It's what I use atm. Extremely powerful, very user-friendly, very open-ended and hasn't had a problem w/ any vst I've thrown at it so far. Also very cheap if you want to buy the full version.

I mean, if you can afford the multi-hundred DAWs, feel free to do so. But I'd honestly roll w/ this one even if I had the premium money for those guys, it's just been that good to me. And btw, my comp is somewhat shit and it still runs excellent on it, so your rig's even halfway decent you'll be getting some insanely good performance I reckon (I've had a chance to test it on a few better rigs to feel confident saying that).

60 days is more then enough to get to grips with a DAW. The thing a bout making music, of any kind, is that you generally end up forking out a lot for the equipment you need.
At your stage, the best thing to do is try out some free trials, and then maybe save up for the one you like the most.

get reaper. you pay when u want to pay.

Ditto on Reaper. It's not a "learning" or "demo" it's full fledged. Dom and Roland uses it, if that tells you anything. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

60 days is more then enough to get to grips with a DAW. The thing a bout making music, of any kind, is that you generally end up forking out a lot for the equipment you need.
At your stage, the best thing to do is try out some free trials, and then maybe save up for the one you like the most.

Ditton on this. I wished I hadnt purchased Ableton and trialed a ton of other software. Some people like Ableton, it's not for me though.

Do those allow you to save your songs

yes you can save your songs with the editions i mentioned earlier, the only real restriction is for eg the number of channels you can have open in one project - for learning, this wont be an issue at all

while there are 'free' options available, personally I think that you should go with a mainstream DAW, as you are more likley to be able to get help when you are stuck, and you will find far more tutorials to help you get started than other less known DAWs

Well, I've used Fl Studio 11 demo version before so I know the basics, but I just couldn't save with it, so I'm just trying to find one that I can use and save songs with

either very old or very, i really dunno what to call it. legit?

i know generations of people that never cared if anything was free, lol!

Unless it was changed recently, Reaper is just a nag window after the trial ends. at $60 for a non-commercial license it's a really powerful DAW imo.
Ohm Studio will have a free level account apparently, that just has limits on # of projects and can't export lossless audio. Possibly good for someone wanting to learn general production, and it has all of the Ohm Force plugins.

Before I got Reaper I used LMMS, which is a free DAW that is similar to FL. Had trouble getting plugins working on Mac though. It has pretty good built in plugins and it took me a while to get use to not having it's drum sequencer!

Well it should be in your inbox now, also i very much suggest you remove that email incase it gets picked up by a bot and you're added to a spamlist : ).

Didn't Future Music do a free DAW? I think it was called Muzis or something along those lines, although I have a feeling they changed the name to something else. Had a look, I actually forgot I have it installed on my studio comp haha. It's called energyXT. I can't remember how much of it was free though, as I do seem to remember an upgrade option.

Back
Top Bottom