10 things they don’t tell Music Producers… til it’s too late.

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/blog/10-things-they-dont-tell-music-producers/

TL;DR

1. Your first attempts at making music won’t be great, and that’s the way it should be.
2. Nobody creates in a constant peak state
3. Most of what you think you need to know, doesn’t matter
4. Most of the tools you think you need, you don’t
5. Your habits count more than your knowledge
6. Everything you want comes through people
7. You don’t have to be miserable to make good music
8. Musicianship is optional
9. Time is the only difference from you & those who are now successful
10. Everybody steals

Now those headings are bit vague so take a look at the article, some deece info there.

I disagree about the forum part. I have found this forum to be critical of my work in a constructive manner that helps me move along. And some of our incessant arguing has help me make choices that help me move along in making tracks. Other times, these arguments have completely changed my mind or helped me find a middle ground.
Like this thread for instance. I have been debating all day with myself on weather or not I should scrap a song I am working on. It has potential but it is missing many elements that would make it better. Because I can not get the song to a certain standard that I want it to be I fill like am polishing a turd. I think I will polish that turd the best I can. Them post it here so everyone can tell me what I did wrong that I know and do not know.
Sorry, my point is this is a good place and you are good people at least for this shit. Except Dave, he is an asshole. You know who you are Dave.

I get what they mean about forums. Forums are a "take the small amount of good, and forget the rest" kinda thing. I used to waist so much time on DOA. In the end it just made me second guess my DAW of choice, feel bad for asking a "how to make this sound" question, have people tell me my synth sucks or is outdated, and learn a bunch of audio "rules" that some of the best producers in our scene break on a daily basis wile creating amazing tracks. Most of the "audio gods" on these forums (not this one, DOA is my main beef) don't even have good tunes under their belt to show you... Just a ton of knowledge and gear. If they know all the answers, why don't they have any good tunes to show for it?

The end of the day, I can learn more from some kid with a shitty computer that knows how to make cool beats, then I can from some guy that went to audio school and has a $30,000+ studio.

All my time on DOA has tought me to filter forums and only pickup on the most usefull info and reject the rest. DOA is now back.... But I ain't there. I came here instead because you guys seem more like musicians and less like technical audio geeks that spend more time telling others what their doing wrong than making music.

Plus I don't post when I can (or should) be making music.... I only post when I'm on my cell phone away from my DAW and I'm bored and need to be with like minded people.

Cool article though... Funny as well.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Most of the "audio gods" on these forums (not this one, DOA is my main beef) don't even have good tunes under their belt to show you... Just a ton of knowledge and gear. If they know all the answers, why don't they have any good tunes to show for it?
I dare you to start posting on gearsluts. Will make DOA seem like a bunch of dogs. on acid.

It's like the BCEE production thread all over again.

If you want to make music, make music.
So many genres and great artists were just idiots messing about and doing stuff, then x decades later, everyone is like 'whoa, groundbreaking stuff... this guy was a genius, we sure don't get music like that these days'

What's the best floating point algorithm the engine in my DAW should have for DnB.

If that's a real question someone would ask; kill me now.

P.S What's that actually mean? LOL

No worries man, some of the things I didnt even consider now so always good to read bits like this every now and then :)

If that's a real question someone would ask; kill me now.

P.S What's that actually mean? LOL

Yeah man, it was one of those age old arguments between audio gods. What DAW sounded best, and why did it sound the best, and how could it sound the best or better than another DAW since both of them used the same 32 bit flouting point algorithm for their engines.

And I have no clue what it "really" means either. I have a feeling half the audio gods arguing about it didn't know either.

Back
Top Bottom